Hey friends.

Since I have a dog, I never had big problems with him. Sure I have him less than one month but still I was thinking that everything will be fine with him and that I don’t have to be stressed at the first a few months…

But…

This morning I saw that he has watery, black, loose stool. I don’t know what could cause it because I was feeding him with dry food for a last couple of days.

Do you have any idea why this happens?

Do you have any cure, any suggestion?

I think that I don’t need to visit the vet that soon… Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong. You need to at least consult with the vet.

Loose stool is something that can be caused by lots of things. It could be something that your dog ate, it could be his body’s reaction to some stressful situation, or it could be something else and loose stool is usually not something that we need to worry about. But the part when you say the stool is black worries me. I don’t want to scare you but black stool sometimes means digested blood in the intestines. Please take your dog’s stool sample to the vet and he will determine the cause.

Yes, definitely a visit to the vet is needed.

Black stool and blood in the stool along with diarrhea sometimes are indicators of some very serious diseases. Take IBDs for example. What’s the first indicator that a dog has IBD? Usually black, bloody, watery stool. 

I am not saying that is likely to be your dog’s case, but the truth is, it is possible and you need to check that out as soon as possible.

It can also be something temporary, a reaction to bad food or something.

Did it look like there was blood in the stool?

You know, oxidation of iron in the hemoglobin can cause blood in the stool to be black.

Listen, when a dog has black stool you need to go to the vet immediately.

Not only does black colour indicate bleeding, it indicates that the bleeding is happening somewhere higher up in the gastro intestinal tract. That’s why you need to go ASAP!

Bleeding can be caused by many things- steroid or NSAID use,  poison, heat stroke or the IBDs that somebody above mentioned.

Whatever the cause is, the important thing is that your dog is maybe loosing large amounts of blood and he needs urgent help. Usually blood work and an ultrasound are done by the vets in situations like this.

Hello. Watery, black, dark loose stool is usually connected with digested blood in the feces. That is just one more sign that you need to react soon. Your dog definitely needs to be checked out whenever you see changes in his stool. Bleeding ulcers, foreign objects and even intestinal parasites can cause dark, watery and bloody stool. It is alarming and it should be treated as soon as possible. Your dog’s poop is a sign of his health condition. Watery diarrhea can also be a sing of the stress but you should not play with it. It is not your job to guess what is going on with your dog.

Hey darling.

This situation is not something that you should just let go. This is a sing of serious health issue in your dog and you should visit your vet IMMEDIATELY. Maybe you think that this is the same when we, humans, have a problem with diarrhea but it is not. Pets are much more sensitive than us. This is an indicator to a serious health problem. I don’t even want to mention that cancer can be the reason. If you react soon it can be healed…If you don’t it can cause the damage that you won’t be able to fix.

Don’t wait anymore. Black, watery stool indicates to a bleeding in the upper digestive tract! Do you even know how this can be dangerous? God, you are making me really, REALLY MAD!

Why you didn’t went to see your vet when you saw that this happens?

A loose stool that persists more than 24 hours, a bloody diarrhea and diarrhea that is black and watery should be checked out by your vet. IMMEDIATELY. It is very dangerous.

Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is a potential threatening intension condition and this can manifest with bloody, watery and black loose stool.

Seek for help immediately.

I hate to say this, but it does seem a lot like IBD. Of course this is internet, we can’t make diagnoses here. Even when you take him to the vet he will ask you to do a bunch of tests and check ups before he determines what could’ve caused watery stool of that colour. My guess is that it has something to do with bleeding somewhere in the digestive system. I would really like to hear from you when you get back from the vet and I’d love to hear that I was wrong about this one, since bleeding in digestive system is never good.