My younger daughter who is 6 now passed green stool now. This got me so worried because I have never seen it before with my first daughter. I did start giving them a lot of veggies lately. Could vegetable consumption be a reason of green stool? Please, can you let me know as soon as possible? Thank you so much Eating or sucking on colored non-food items such as crayons might also turn stools different colors.

Hello! There is no need to panic. Occasional green stool is perfectly normal. There are even a couple of possible explanations. The first is eating green foods like vegetables that contain chlorophyll that could color the stool. Also, iron supplements or even foods that are rich in iron can also give stool a green tinge. If green stool is seen with forceful diarrhea, then there is another reason for it. This means that the mixture of food and digestive juices is passing through the large intestine faster than normal and it is called a decreased colonic transit time. If the green color persists, or bowel movements change in other ways, then you may call a doctor.