When I was ill, I had to make some tests, where blood test was included too. I accidentally read it and I saw my blood is type A. Since I have never heard for that during my 50 years of life, I want to know difference. Isn’t blood the same with everyone? I would like to learn how doctors made difference between blood types.

Yes, in some ways every person’s blood is the same. But when is analyzed under a microscope, distinct differences are visible. In early 20th century, Austrian scientist named Karl Landsteiner classified blood according to those differences. He observed two distinct chemical molecules present on the surface of the red blood cells. He labeled one as molecule “A” and other like molecule “B”. If the red blood cells had only “A” molecules on it that blood was called type A. That was case with you, if you read your blood type is A. Red blood cells with only”B” molecules is type B, with both molecules is AB and if there is neither molecule it is blood type O. importance to know someone’s blood type is because when two different blood types mix together, the blood cells may begin to clump in blood vessels causing fatal situation. If your blood type is A, you can donate blood to person with type A or AB. Otherwise, you can receive blood from a person with type A or type O. The most of the people have blood type A.