I know that anemia is a lower than normal number of red blood cells. I have heard those are called erythrocytes, and they are found in the blood. This is usually measured by a decrease for hemoglobin, which is what I have also heard lately. Although I know all this I cannot understand what is actually anemia, and why does it occur. Can you tell me causes or anything more about this common problem?

Since you know hemoglobin is in erythrocytes, you have to understand that is red pigment, which transports oxygen. There are many types and potential causes of anemia so I cannot say all of them. Anemia is one of the more common blood disorders, and it occurs when the number of healthy red blood cells decreases in the body. The disc-shaped red blood cells contain hemoglobin, as I already explained. This is a unique molecule that carries oxygen to the body's tissues, necessary to normal body functioning. Anemia occurs for different reasons, such as increased destruction, or breaking down, of red blood cells. Other reasons are increased blood loss from the body, or inadequate production of red blood cells by the bone marrow. In some cases anemia results from an inherited disorder, whereas in other cases the condition is caused by something in a person's environment. That might be nutritional problem, infection, or exposure to a drug or toxin, depending on anemia type.

dr.called and said i was anemic,i had blood work only 2 months ago.the dr. wants me to take iron,w/out any basis,or facts on my low red cells.i am worried because i have type a hepatitus,or they tell me.how can i determine what is cause