Hello, folks. My friends’ baby has been diagnosed with ABO incompatibility. I have heard something about this before. The thing that interests me is whether this condition can be inherited or not. Can someone tell me something more about this? I will appreciate all your replies. Thank you in advance. Bye!

Hi, there. ABO incompatibility appears when mother and a child have different blood types. In this case, mother is type O and a child is type A or type B. Here, child’s red blood cells have antigens that mother hasn’t. That is what trigs mother organism to produce antibodies which reach the baby’s bloodstream during pregnancy. Usually, this condition does not require treatment. However, sometimes jaundice or anemia can appear. In a case of jaundice, a phototherapy is recommended. I hope this will help you. Bye!