My girlfriend has diabetes type 1. I am suffering from diabetes type 2. Do we have the same disease? We started this discussion yesterday and didn't find answers. Main confusion is our therapy. She needs insulin in order to be OK and I don't. My body is "satisfied" with medications only. Who is sicker? Could you please explain the difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes?

Basically you both have the same disease. But you are suffering from different types of it. I will write some of characteristics for each type, and I hope you will find difference easily. Type 1 diabetes: onset of disease prior to age 30, lean body, requirement of insulin as the initial therapy, increased risk of other autoimmune disorders. Type 2 diabetes: develop diabetes after age of 30, usually obese (fat), may not require insulin therapy initially, may have associated conditions such as high blood pressure, heart problems, etc. I read all this, I am not that smart.

The lines between types can get a bit blurred, as there are a few ways to define the types.

Type 1 is generally caused by the immune system in younger people destroying the cells that make insulin, so they need to inject insulin to live.

Type 2 is more a lifestyle disease, caused by little exercise, poor diet, and some genetics.

Non Insulin Dependant is generally associated with type 2, because in the early years of the illness it can be controlled by diet and exercise, but eventually insulin is needed to keep blood sugar levels near normal.