My girlfriend is lactose intolerant to the point where she'll eat so much dairy that it makes her vomit. Lately (for at least 3-4 out of the 7 days in a week) for the past few weeks she has done this... eats 3-4000 calories, most of which are dairy, and then "takes a shower," where she'll get sick under cover of the running water. She has also suffered from occasional constipation, which she blames on taking iron supplements during her menstrual cycle, so she'll use laxatives and stool softeners for a few days, then return to her "lactose overdoes," as she has dubbed it. I'm not sure if I believe that, though, and I don't know if I should or not.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this? If so, should I be concerned about bulimia? She is tiny, less than 100 pounds, but is only 5'1" (she used to be a runner, but due to a knee injury, has not run in over a year and has subsequently experienced severe body issues, i.e. she "sees" fat where there is none, and is constantly saying her clothes are too small, but she wears a size 0), yet has several close friends who have battled eating disorders. What kinds of things should I look for and when do I know when I either need to seek help for her or when I should confront her about this? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated... I"m so worried about her.

Thank you

it sounds like you could be right - binging and vomiting are very good signs that someone has bulimia - i would ask her to get help or tell her parents youre worried, this needs to stop asap.

bulimia has terrible health problems associated with them. this is a few of them:

- Perimolysis, or the erosion of tooth enamel by gastric acids.
- Oral trauma, where habitual insertion by fingers or other objects cause lacerations to the lining of the mouth and throat.
- Chronic gastric reflux after eating.
- Esophagitis, or irritation of the esophagus by frequent contact with gastric acids.
- Dehydration and hypokalemia due to loss of fluids and potassium depletion.
- Swollen salivary glands.

What are the symptoms?

Binge eating, self-induced vomiting and the excessive use of laxatives are usual practices for someone with bulimia.

Women's periods may become irregular or stop. Vomiting may also cause tooth decay, bad breath, mouth ulcers, sore throats, stomach disorders and calluses on the fingers.

Laxative abuse can cause dehydration, kidney problems and bowel problems. Mineral deficiency may also occur.

Many people with bulimia are depressed.

i hope your girlfriend gets help if this is what it is!

Hi not quite sure, I'm going through the same thing. My best friend eats way to much cheese, like obsessively, but then I think later she throws it all up. My first time experiencing her throwing up was at a party the other day. I know she wasn't drunk because were 13! Her friends that have known her longer say she does it at most parties, but I think she has Bulimia. She barely eats except dessert and cheese. Then later throws up. I dont know for sure but I'm also really scared I'm hoping its just lactose intolerance... but I dont know. So for the past hour I've been doing some research. Focus on feelings and relationships, not on weight and food. Share your memories of specific times when you felt concerned about the person’s eating behavior. Explain that you think these things may indicate that there could be a problem that needs professional help.
Tell them you are concerned about their health, but respect their privacy. Eating disorders are often a cry for help, and the individual will appreciate knowing that you are concerned.
Do not comment on how they look. The person is already too aware of their body. Even if you are trying to compliment them, comments about weight or appearance only reinforce their obsession with body image and weight.
Make sure you do not convey any fat prejudice, or reinforce their desire to be thin. If they say they feel fat or want to lose weight, don't say "You're not fat." Instead, suggest they explore their fears about being fat, and what they think they can achieve by being thin.
Avoid power struggles about eating. Do not demand that they change. Do not criticize their eating habits. People with eating disorders are trying to be in control. They don't feel in control of their life. Trying to trick or force them to eat can make things worse.
Avoid placing shame, blame, or guilt on the person regarding their actions or attitudes. Do not use accusatory “you” statements like, “You just need to eat.” Or, “You are acting irresponsibly.” Instead, use “I” statements. For example: “I’m concerned about you because you refuse to eat breakfast or lunch.” Or, “It makes me afraid to hear you vomiting.”
Avoid giving simple solutions. For example, "If you'd just stop, then everything would be fine!"

This are some things apparently we should say. But I think I am going to approach her about it so maybe you should do the same?

Here are some signs of bulimia:
Weight gain
Abdominal pain, bloating
Swelling of the hands and feet
Chronic sore throat, hoarseness
Broken blood vessels in the eyes
Swollen cheeks and salivary glands
Weakness and dizziness
Tooth decay and mouth sores
Acid reflux or ulcers
Ruptured stomach or esophagus
Loss of menstrual periods
Chronic constipation from laxative abuse

Hope this helped. We really need to just watch out for the people we love the most.