Hi, I am 65 years old and I got bloating problems, even if I am not overeaten I get constipated. I use laxatives for many years, but they seems ineffective anymore. How can I prevent this condition?

Hi, it is more likely to see in older people bloating and constipation compared to younger people. There are many reasons for constipation such as not enough bowel movements, excessive difficulty and straining at stool, over eating, painful bowel movements, hard stools, or feeling of incomplete emptying of the bowel. Regular stool varies for person to person and there is no general rule that could be applied to everyone. If you don’t drink enough water it may cause constipation, or if your fiber intake is insufficient. Lack of exercise is another reason, or ignoring nature’s call. As you described over usage of laxatives leads to their tolerance, and they become ineffective. Antidepressants, antacids, antihistamines, diuretics, and antiparkinsonism drugs all have constipation as side effect.