Hi, I will have hysterectomy in three days, and I heard from a friend that I should do a bowel cleanse before this. Is it true? Has someone done bowel cleanse before hysterectomy?

Hello, I had a hysterectomy a year ago, and I did a bowel cleanse before that. I was also on a liquid diet 24 hours before. I did these things because my friend had a terrible experience with a hysterectomy. During the operation, her stool froze up inside her, and she had a painful constipation for many days after. I think it’s easier to do a bowel cleanse and be on a diet, then to have constipation later. However, many doctors don’t advice their patients to do this, but I don’t really know why. Many patients who didn’t do a bowel cleanse before hysterectomy, didn’t experience any problems later, but I wasn’t in the mood to take that risk. There is a third option if you don’t want do any of this things, and that is to take a laxative before hysterectomy. Good luck!

I am scheduled for a hysterectomy and the doctor told me to drink a 10oz. bottle of magnesium citrate and take 3 Ducolox tabs and to be on a liguid diet the day before surgery. And on the day of surgery not to eat anything or drink anything unless I need to take a sip of water to take any medications I'm allowed to take. The liguid diet consists of: Gatorade, Chicken Broth, Jello, and ect. I hope this helps anyone.