As a breast-feeding woman, the only thing I could use, for my constipation was Senna tea. I got it prescribed by my doctor. She told me that Senna tea is safe for the baby, but she did not told me about effects of Senna tea on me, beside the constipation. What should I expect when I drink Senna tea?

Since Senna tea is a laxative you may expect pain in your stomach. However, Senna tea collects water in your big intestine and irritates inner face of your intestine in order to push out the material in your bowels. Stool should be soft, because of the collected water. While all this is happening, you may feel some abdominal pain.

Hi lindsy, 

Senna tea is usually considered a safe and efficient laxative. As amye explained, it will speed up your bowel movements and the immediate side effects you might experience are related mainly to the bowel movement itself. However, there shouldn’t be any major pains and cramping, no more than usual, maybe more difficult bowel movement.

Other, potentially more serious side effects from senna tea happen if you use it for longer period of time. This happens with all laxatives – your bowels get used to work with the help of the laxative instead of on their own, so you gradually, over time, can get even more constipated. Other side effects from longer use are related to dehydration and problems it causes, but these effects happen after years of use.