Hey everyone,

I'm 14 and I run two races, 1 mile and 1.5 miles. A lot of my friends complain about their legs hurting, but I never have a problem with that. The only thing that slows me down is the sensation my lungs are on fire, and having to suck in huge gulps of air. If anyone could give me some specialized workouts for that kinda thing, that would be great! And please don't say practice more, I do! I'm looking for specific training help. Thanks!

If it helps, I can run a mile in 6:30. I'm not super slow and just starting.

Hey everyone, I'm 14 and I run two races, 1 mile and 1.5 miles. A lot of my friends complain about their legs hurting, but I never have a problem with that. The only thing that slows me down is the sensation my lungs are on fire, and having to suck in huge gulps of air. If anyone could give me some specialized workouts for that kinda thing, that would be great! And please don't say practice more, I do! I'm looking for specific training help. Thanks! If it helps, I can run a mile in 6:30. I'm not super slow and just starting.

Try to practice talking while you are running, or singing a song out loud. You should be running at a pace where you can speak in sentences without getting out of breath. This (and step uniformity) is why the military sings cadences while running. Make sure you're breathing more from your diaphragm, not from your chest -- that's too shallow. Deep belly breathing allows you to take in more air, which can also help prevent side stitches. You should exhale through your mouth and try to focus on exhaling fully, which will remove more carbon dioxide and also help you inhale more deeply. All of this should help your "lung goodness" :D