Hey, Im 16 yr old female, with terrible knees and am not the most fit person in the world. but i wanted to know what i can do to decrease my mile time because currently, i cannot even run a whole mile. my time is about 12 minutes (!) and even when i try, my knees feel like theyre about to give. anyways, id appreciate any advice!! thx

i hate knee problems, lots of runners experience them at one time or another though. make sure you are running in good shoes. most serious runners will not wear their shoes if they've run over 300 miles in them -- if they're worn out, get some new ones, and make sure you're running in a shoe that's right for your foot.

why not try a run/walk routine until you feel yourself getting stronger on the "run" parts. run a half mile, walk a quarter, run a half, walk a quarter...slowly increase the distance you're running in between walking breaks. the breaks will give you time to recover and may help you increase your overall distance to two miles in another few weeks of consistent training.

you didn't say where the knee pain is, but if it continues or worsens, i'd suggest you see a doctor just to rule out any kind of injury.

good luck and let us know how you're doing.

I agree with Rolling Rock. You may want to see a doctor about the knee problem.

How long have you been running?

Hello to you!

Do see a doctor and PLEASEEEEE make sure you are in the proper running gear. I ran in the worst shoes when I first started out (real tennis shoes for tennis) and I'm very fortunate that I don't have bad knees from it.

Good shoes can make your legs and knees hold out so much better. You are too young to experience problems like these already.

Good luck to you.

:wavey:

As has been said, good shoes go a long ways to keep your knees happy. A few other things you can do too. One is to run on softer surfaces. Avoid concrete such as sidewalks, it's the absolute worst. Asphalt (black-top) is a little better. Rubberized tracks and treadmills are the next step being better. And the best is to find dirt, grass or woodchip trails. Ideally, all runners should try to log up half their mileage on trails and the real cushy surfaces.

Another thing you can do to help your knees is to cross-train and strengthen those tendons and muscles adjacent to your knee without the pounding of running. Add a couple days each week of cycling, indoor rowing or such. Putting strength in your quads will go a long way to stabilizing the movement of your knee cap and withstanding the stresses of running.

And finally, you can consider trying some supplements like FluidJoint or Glucosamine. I've used both for knee and hip aches. They're great products and really do subside a lot of what hinders a good run when those aches get overdone. Being 16, I'd make sure your parents are on board with the supplements you might take. And if you're going to see a doctor, get his opinion too. I'm not sure about any other prescriptions, conditions or ailments you might have, so the family doc is the best person to pull it all together for you individually.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!!