during long and tempo runs-- often enough that I'm a bit worried. I'm training for my first marathon from a program in a book from the track store. I've never done runs this long (max before was 10-12 miles) or tempos. I stopped 4-5 times during 20 miles on Sunday. I didn't really have to stop due to fatigue, but I had to use the bathroom, get a drink, etc. Ran tempo yesterday and had to stop after every mile--was going a bit too fast--but I couldn't judge the pace very well. Will I be okay during marathon when I have to run straight without stopping? Is this normal?

Oh, hello, I'm new here. :wavey:

Jeff Galloway would say that it is perfectly okay to stop during long runs, and i believe i saw the same thing on a Hal Higdon training schedule.

There is nothing that says that you can't stop and walk during a marathon. Higdon suggests doing it at water stops (though it might be better to do so a little bit past the water stop).

And welcome to the forums.

Hey Turtle, welcome to the addiction!

You logged a 20-miler with 4-5 stops? Yeah, you're sunk.

Just kidding

You'll do fine. I dare say the majority of marathoners end up with a few points over 26.2 miles where nature calls or an aid station is too congested to run through or a cramp needs to get stretched out. In fact, it's probably an expectation that something will happen that'll nearly stop ya dead in your tracks.
All that being said, if you logged a 20-miler without becoming overly fatigued, I'd say that last 10km is in those legs somewhere and come raceday, it'll all come together.

First and foremost, welcome!

While I can't answer a lot of these, I can ask some questions that others here can:

- Did you go from a 12 mile long run straight to 20? If so, you're increasing your long by 2/3s. It should be an additional mile or two - small bites, as it were.

- Bathroom and water stops occur on training runs (for a lot of us). Those will go away in your races - they'll have the water/fluid tables so you can grab and go. As for the bathroom stuff, hopefully you can attune your body to do business before the race, and not deal with that until after.

- How much time before your first marathon? Hopefully it's enough to give you a chance to build yourself up.

All the best to you in it, and again welcome! :wavey:

stopping is okay really. Do not sweat it. I would rather stop take in all of my food and drink than try to do all of that while running.

And I know where all the bathrooms are on my running routes. Just in case.

Gees, thanks for all of the quick replies!

So, no I wasn't crazy enough to build from 12 to 20--I'm about 1/3 into the plan at this point, plus I built up to 18 before I started the plan. I had been logging between 30-40 before, then built up gradually over maybe 4 months. I am worried because I really would like to qualify for Boston even though I know that is probably waaaaaayyy too ambitious. Since they aren't likely to stop the marathon clock like I stop my watch, I just got worried. Plus the tempos may not be serving their purpose if I stop every mile, you know? Have any of you ever gone too fast on tempo runs then had to stop? Is this a tempo newbie thing--meaning not being able to run at the proper pace--going out too fast and that sort of thing?

One other side note is that I can't believe how much stronger I feel after running this mileage--72 tops last week--consistently or actually ever. Consistency with the higher mileage seems to make a big difference.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Welcome! And for what it's worth, I agree with the others. I'd much rather make sure I'm getting fluids than worry about walking a few steps. (never can drink out of those stupid cups on the run)

I agree! Welcome turtle. :wavey: you sound like you're definitely on your way to completing that marathon.

fwiw--- I rarely stop on long runs on my own, if with a group yes. However, I always break up my tempo runs with jogging, getting drinks, wiping face whatever!

I wish I could stop during long runs, on the occassions that I've tried to get fluids in me, It just takes the wind out of my sails and mentally takes too much to get me going again. I guess I'm like a vehicle that takes regular instead of high octane. I just don't have that vroom on take off :)

Welcome turtle! And where are you running your first??

I have to agree with everyone, there is a little stopping required. I usually require at least one bathroom stop on a training run of 3 miles or more...depending on many factors of course!! Although during a race I have never needed a bathroom break. A recent 1/2 marathon I needed a bathroom break, but my times were so horrible I couldn't see adding another minute or two to them!

As another beginner marathoner, it feels really good and positive to get a few 20 milers under your belt. Confident that you can run the rest!

Gosh thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome and the advice. I feel more comfortable now about my stops--though I know I should really at least try to keep them to a minimum. I'm shooting for a mid-December or early January marathon, keeping my options open a bit in case of bad weather.

I sure hope the 20 milers help me. There are a handful more, going up to 23 miles, which sounds awfully darn far from where I'm sitting. I still have trouble with the thought of actually racing 26.2 miles, but I'm hanging in there.

Thanks again to everyone!! :D

I'm a newbie runner so I have nothing to add but welcome!

:wavey: