How to improve strength on the run? I would like to run faster and feel less exhausted after training. I’ve tried to achieve that by weight lifting but it didn’t work. I ended up with inflated arms and broad shoulders, while my strength during running couldn’t be improved. Any suggestions? I don’t want to take steroids and similar supplements. Thanks in advance.

There are various exercises that can help you run faster and be less exhausted. But, first things first. Namely, in order to improve your lung capacity you’ll have to learn a proper breathing pattern and somehow make it automatic. Breathing is one of the most important factors of fast running and lungs are as important for running as legs. Start with the deep breathing exercise and breathe in through your nose while counting to ten. Then hold your breath while you count to five and breathe out while counting to ten. The muscles responsible for fast running are calves and hamstrings mainly and what you should do is make them stronger. One of the exercises for this purpose is squat, especially one-leg squat.

I would think that you need to do hill runs for running strength. Also incorporate speed work. You need a track routine.

For what distances are you training?

D

I heard breathing through you nose is a great way to help control your breathing. I was never able to do that during a race or run though. Swimming also seems like another good way to help increase your strength for running.

Trail Running Blog

You mentioned strength training, did you concentrate on your core muscle groups at all? doing good ab/oblique/intercostal workouts can have a big impact on your strength across a variety of activities. A strong core impactws your breathing and endurance, as well. Start doing sit ups, bicycles, and crunches and see if it helps.

when you trained for strength, did you

- eat an appropriate diet?
- train low rep sets for power?
- train high rep sets for endurance?
- perform metabolic lifts such as squats and deadlifts?

without more info about your training program, nothing can be said about your results.

do your research. your diet will determine your gains.

to improve your lung capacity has to learn proper breathing and somehow, how automatic pattern. Breathing is one of the most important factors to quickly walk and lungs are so important to execute as the legs.

If you have to improve your running strength then you have to daily work for it. Regular running is the best and well approved way through which you can increase the running strength of your body as well as make it fast.