Hello, this is my first post here on these forums. Hopefully I can receive some answers to my problem.

I've started to run more often in my free time for the last 3 weeks, and I have to admit that it is the most fun I've had in a while. But, after those 3 weeks, my breathing has gotten really messed up and it's tightened up my mouth whenever I talk. I end up mumbling whatever I want to say (I breathe through my mouth a lot during my runs, so this could be why).

I just wanted to know if anyone else has faced this dilemma before because not being able to talk fluently is really depressing. Is there anything I can do to relieve this?

Thanks. :D

Take the red pill?

Are you drinking enough? Is your mouth dry?

Hey, I would suggest trying a breathing pattern. Most runners do this:

Left Right Left Right
In In In Out

So for 3 steps you breath in through your mouth and on the 4th step you breath out. You also want to make sure that you're stomach breathing and not chest breathing. Meaning your chest should not move at all when you run just your stomach. When you breath in your stomach should go out and when you breath out your stomach should go in. Lay on the floor and breath and you'll get a feel for doing it right.

Being able to regulate your breathing like this should help.

Also drink lots of water....

if you still have the problem though I would talk to your doctor cause I've never heard of your problem before.

Hope that helps.

-John

Is the difficulty speaking directly after you run, or all the time?

Do you have difficulty swallowing?

Are you staying sufficiently hydrated while you run?

If it is all the time, not just after running, you definitely need to see a doctor.

"Conversational pace" is a myth. I've been running for some 26+ years and when I run, I push it. I know the 'experts' say you should be able to hold a conversation. Fergit it. If you want to hear one word at a time conversation, then I'm your guy. And as for breathing, I breathe through my nose, mouth and ears if I can. Keep them all open and breathe whatever comes naturally. I think the 'rhythm breathing' is another myth. :shrug:

I don't know... maybe the rythm breathing doesn't work for everyone but it really helps me. I used to get side stitches all the time but now that I do the breathing rythms it's quite rare for me to get them. I would agree though that it is hard to carry on a conversation with someone while I'm running. I guess I'm just usually running to fast to be able to speak clearly.