The week of Chritmas I dusted off my mom's tread (we were vacationing there for the holiday) and finally got some miles on that sorely neglected machine. Anyway, I like that I could be very consistant and competitive with my pace, but after a particularly good workout for me I found that my ankles were SORE for the rest of the week and slowed me down. Also, I don't know how anyone does over 5 miles on the tread. I became dizzy running on it. I guess despite the advantages (controlling the pace), I didn't really like the experience too much. My question is: does running on a tread always suck? I mean I'm thankful I got my short runs in, but if I were to get a membership to a gym I think I'd rather get one to a gym that had an indoor track. If the dizziness stopped and sore ankles improved....maybe it wouldn't be so bad. The workouts were also pretty boring, so I watched old re-runs of Saturday Night Live and got a stitch in my side from running and laughing at the same time. 8O

My first winter as a newbie I trained almost exclusively inside, before discovering the joys of cold weather running (which I now LOVE). I trained for a half marathon, which included 10 & 11 mile runs 8O Looking back on that now, I don't know how I did it....other than a lot of really loud music and my water bottle for company!! Not something I'd repeat anytime soon.

To break up the boredom, and I occasionally still do this at the gym, I did ladders, increasing my speed, pretty much the same as track work, for 400m intervals, and then bringing back down when I peaked. That helps, plus I find that I can't cheat on the mill because I'll fall, whereas on the track you can slow down if you really want to. I do belong to a gym with an indoor track, but it's like 10 or 11 laps = a mile so it's just as boring, IMHO. I just add a couple more layers and go outside, but I like the cold so I don't think I'm as sensitive to it as others.

I only run on the treadmill one day a week and I've never had the sore ankles problem but I do get a little dizzy when I'm done.

I only use the treadmill for tempo workouts because it give me a level terrain and exact control over the pace (like that ever happens in a race ). Our Y has little LCD TVs/CD players in front of every cardio machine so that helps a lot with the boredom. I'll bring along a good CD and crank it up and run like mad. I get a lot of strange looks though, a) I'm actually 'running' on a treadmill and b) sometimes I play air guitar.

You may want to keep the treadmill at 1% incline. With the give of the 'mill a 0% is like running down hill.

Also see Effort-Based Treadmill Training Speeds

A lot of people say that, but I find that the incline on a treadmill is really hard on my knees.....whereas running on hills outside is not. Anyone else have input on that?

sometimes I play air guitar.
:D Sometimes I sing along to the music I'm listening to...when it's dark, or when I think nobody is around.