Already posted this in another forum, I was referred here so here i am :) Anyways, I've been hiking a lot and what not in my old nikes, and they really need to be retired to lawn mowing shoes or something. I'm looking for suggestions on shoes to get. I want something good for hiking and trail running. They will be primarily used out in the desert, and the occasional mountain climb. I've been holding off on doing a lot of trail running in the nikes cause they won't cut it and my legs get beat up. Any suggestions on shoes to buy would be appreciated. I've been looking at the Merrell Reflexs, and there was a pair of North Faces. Thanks!

Sorry DrG, I don't do trails so I can't really help you out here. But I do want to say welcome to our little board. Glad you could stop by. :D

hey!

ive heard alot of good things about merrell shoes... on a hiking trip in the desert a few yrs ago, one of the guys had a pair of merrell hiking boot-like shoes that were very flexable like running shoes but were still supportive to hike in a range of terrain from sandy desert near the rio grande all the way to trails with 3 feet of snow high in the rockies.

ive been looking at running shoe style hiking shoes too and from what ive seen, merrells have the best looking shoes and the better prices...

tri rei.com and reioutlet.com, you can find all the major brands there, including adiddas and nike as well, or you might be able to find the style you like in the rei brand, which is sometimes a little cheaper than "name" brands...

hope this will be helpful... where in the desert are you hiking?

I'm in the "don't know c**p about trail shoes, but would like to welcome you to the forums" category. ;)

:wavey:

:wavey:

Same here.

Welcome.

thanks all :) I'm gunna head to REI when i get back from my trip, hiking up Mt. Sneffels (wish i had my new shoes for this), and buy a nice pair of merrells i think.

:wavey:

Same here.

Welcome
:1:

A good running store should be able to find good trail shoes to suit your foot. The Nike Pegasus I run in has a trail version that is lined with Gore-Tex. The stuff rocks, and the shoes are essentially the same--except hotter, of course.

Good luck and happy trails!

Welcome!!! (don't know squat about trail shoes...sorry) Enjoy your trip!

Been looking at the Salomons myself..for both trails and winter slush running. You probably need to make the decision is it running or hiking you are going to do on the trails. Running shoes are going to best for just that, running. While the hiking shoes often span the spectrum to melding towards hiking boots. And that boot type of construction you certainly don't want for running. Conversly, hiking in running shoes might not be the most supportive, but is probably the lesser evil of the two choices, so I'd go with a model more on the lighter, runable end of choices. Also, my own experience has been, trail shoes often feel decent on the roads too. Those chunky lugs add some more cushion and sole lifespan (that just doesn't sound right). Anyway, good trail running to you and welcome to the forums!!!

I have always been a fan of Asics or New Balance for trail running and any other type of road running. They are very comfortable and can help absorb a lot of the shock when running on a trail.

Trail Running Blog