I have a herniated disc at C5/6 and stenosis at C4/5 and C5/6 with reversal of normal lordosis from C3-C6. I also have cervical degenerative disc problems from C3-C6. I had surgery about 6-7 weeks ago and I am very pleased with the feeling that came back in my right arm, hand and fingers. My concern is still the pain level which I will discuss further in a minute. Prior to surgery, I had several epidural's which never worked, however, I also had facet blocks because the pian level was going up to the top of my head and this worked great. Only if the epidurals worked as well as the facet block. Anyway, I decided to do surgery and had C4/5 and C5/6 fused with TM100 plate and screws. Again, the numbness, tingling and dullness in my right arm has improved and I am very pleased about this, however, my pain level which was mostly going down my neck towards my right shoulder blade, which burns as well, and goes down mhy right arm. The pain now is also on my left side, mostly in my neck and left shoulder. The doctor feels that it is spasms and ordered me valimum ans celebrex but this medication is not even making a dent in my pain level.

My questions to anyone who has had this surgery, is can I expect the pain level to decrease/improve? I am grateful that I got my right arm feeling back and the doctor informed me prior to surgery that he is more concerned to prevent more nerve damage and can not guarantee that my pain level will improve, which is has not. It's had to tell people/friends/family that the surgery only worked half way, so I just say I feel great. It's hard for people to understand that someone can have major pain almost all day long, so it's just easier to say nothing.

I apologize for venting but under the circumstances, i hope you all understand. I am looking forward to hearing back from some of you regarding this surgery and hnow it went for you or how long it took for the pain level to decrease/improve, if it has. At this point in time, I would have guessed that my pain level would have improved just as my feeling in my right arm has. My main concern now is that the pain which never hurt on the left side is not really hurting from my neck down my shoulder.

Again, I apologize for going on, but please let me know your thoughts or suggestions.

Thank you for your anticipated feedback.....

Steve

did you ever get an answer to your problem?
i had the rods and the screws and i still have severe pain!!!!!!!!!!!!
please email me and i will tell you more

I was in a car accident in 04 and had surgery in 05 for c5/6 fusion with plates, bones and screws as well. I also had tingling in my arms, legs and etc...Many steriod shots, therapy, epidurals, facet blocks everything that was possible. Nothing worked. I did get relief from my left arm from numbness per the surgery but as of today it comes back quite a bit. Really scarey. Today is March 29, 2012 and I also have spasms of the trapesest (spelling incorrect) in my neck kinda like I would decscribe as rabbit's kicking inside out in my neck. All meds. really don't faze my pain but I do however take Soma a muscle relaxer to ease my tightness and to relax my neck and Norco Pain Meds to kill the pain everyday. I totally understand what you are saying about the surgery and I wish I was the example to say years later you will be great to go but...Today I feel as though someone took a bat to my neck and I have bad days as well worse days. I also get major migraines. Sorry I am with you I wish the surgery was a 100%. but not so.

I also have had ACDF on c5-6-7 with a TM plate for the headaches and numbness and tingling down the left arm along with the three middle fingers. After the surgery I am in very much pain and now I have lost the use of my right arm and right index and thumb. Although the left side has subsided the headaches still are ongoing and the pain level is unbearable. My doctor has me on hydro-codon, oxy-codon, and a few others. It has only been a few months but I hope it gets better.