I had ACDF at C6/C7 in June of 2007 and still out of work. The pain is getting worse and had an EMG done this past Monday. Doctor said I have a pinched nerve at my right elbow which is causing the severe arm pain and hand numbness. Why is my neck (the back of the neck) still giving me severe pain, no mobility, pain in my ankles all day long, headaches, and now left arm soreness and numbness? I was told that I will require surgery to move the nerve. But again my neck is killing me every minute of the day and allows me to do no physical activity. As a 42 year old father of twin boys it is very depressing to not be able to enjoy life. It is horrible to be on workman's compensation for it is only 60% of your pay and they make you feel like a leech. After a year the 40% loss is not easy to swallow. What can I do? I had bulges at C3, C4, C5, and C6 with C7 being replaced with a cadavor bone and plating. I can feel the plate still when I swallow. Has anyone else had these post-surgery problems? I can barely survive and the pain is so severe that it brings tears to this tough guy's eyes all of time. I have not slept more than 3 hours a night in over a year and still cannot lay flat in a bed. If anyone has a similar issue feel free reply or e-mail me.

I am in soooo much pain 24 hours a day and would like to know about others who had the same surgery.
My ankles are so sore that I can barely walk. The pain is getting worse and all I can do is take my prescribed Hydrocodone and Tramadol. I was taking Oxycodone for the first 7-8 months but the doctor wanted to get me off the narcotic. Just presrcibed the Hydrocodone because the pain is really severe now. It is hard to get thru each day and sad when my 4 year old twin boys ask their Daddy to play with them. It brings tears to my eyes to tell them "not right now." This really sucks and is only getting worse. I have the best doctor for this problem not only in Boston but probably the country. He is older and is the father of micro-surgery. I do have complete faith in him and he is concerned about my problem(s).
I pray that all recover from their surgeries and I would like to hear from others.

Thank you -
John

Hi I too had a double fusion of C5/6 and C6/7 and had a large disc fragment that was lying on the c5 area hence 8 months later i still have severe arm pain. Evidently the large disc fragment has caused lots of nerve damage, so I will have to deal with this for the rest of my life..........ARRRRGGGH!!
I am on neurontin and cymbalta and pain meds !! Anyone else had the loose body out there that caused so much nerve damage?? I would love to hear any ideas or things that helped alleviate the severe arm and scapular pain that I still have!! To all you have endured this life altering experience I wish you well ............Thanx!!

I realize that I am replying to an old post... but if you see this, John, how are you feeling now? My heart breaks for you and I hope that your pain has been resolved. I also had ACDF at the C5/6-C6/7 level (6 months ago) and I am still struggling daily with pain, numbness, stiffness, and frustration. My quality of life has been greatly reduced for almost a full year now, as October last year was when my disc herniated. I fear that I may have permanent nerve damage. Anyway, I wanted to wish you well. I hope you see this and are doing much better.