Hi. My child was diagnose with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. He is 4 years old. He was prescribed with Strattera and so far he has shown an amazing improvement in his symptoms. Can ADHD be cured?

Hi. My 15 years old daughter was also diagnosed with ADHD when she was only 5. She still needs her meds and she will probably need to be on the therapy for a long time. Her treatment is a combination of meds and behavioral therapy. I don`t think there is a cure for ADHD, but therapies can be really helpful. Stimulants are the most common drugs for ADHD. They are considered to be safe. Strattera, however, is not a stimulant.

can adhd cure without medication and any therpy

Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (known as ADHD) is a chronic condition which affects children as well as adults. When children are affected by this disorder it usually persists into adulthood.

ADHD includes combination of problems such as difficulty sustaining attention and impulsive behavior and children with ADHD very often have problems with low self-esteem. It is hard for them to maintain relationships and they often show very poor performance in school.

Treatment won’t cure ADHD but it can be really helpful. And there is no evidence that ADHD can be cure without treatment and medications and treatment usually involves medications and behavioral interventions.

Although this is scary diagnosis parents can help their children (with therapy and medications included) to grow up into normal adults. 

geoffrey wrote:

TO show if it can be cured no but can be managed with meds and with help by professionals who understand this disease..As an adult now and was just diagnosed with adhd I finally feel normal for the first time of my life..
I was hyper,difficulty focusing,jumping from one task to another and when I hit puberty it got much worst..I was diagnosed with every mentally problem out there or them telling my parents it will pass or I was spoiled..I ended up withdrawing for good friends, dropping out of school and doing a lot of drugs..The one that helped me the most was cocaine..I could stay on task,feel normal and managed to finish school..Only if I was doin coke..Because coke is a stimulant that was another indication to my psychologist that I had this all my life and it was to bad no one else caught on to this..Now I'm a productive woman able to successfully work and stay off narcotics.. My doctor feels my daughter also has this but my daughter is 19 and believes there is nothing wrong with her..But she shows the same difficulties I as did and she is doinng a lot of drugs and can't stay of task and so much more..Problem is that girls very seldom diagnosed with this as much as boys so they usually get looked over..To bad because girls suffer from this as a much and usually ended up on a long road to hell if they don't get thew help they need..Trust me I know..

It's wonderful to hear that he is showing improvement. :)
I have ADD/ADHD myself, and I took Strattera for awhile, too.

I'm not sure if I would say the disorder can be cured, but it's definitely something that he can treat and overcome with medicine and different methods of paying attention. Eventually, he'll be okay without the medicine :) Plus, at 4, there's a lot of energy built up inside of him anyway, and that will settle down a bit haha.

I do have some suggestions, though...First, I've noticed the medicine will work better if not taken every day. For example, if he doesn't need it on the weekends when he starts school, then he doesn't need it. By not taking it every single day, he'll be less likely to need a larger dose because the medicine will work better.
And secondly, it does suppress the appetite, but make sure he eats before he takes it, because they're not lying when they say it'll give tummy trouble lol

Treatments can relieve many symptoms of ADHD, but there is currently no cure for the disorder.