Hello there. I ran into an old friend of mine. He is now into those mental issues because he is doing his master's Thesis and he has to learn all about mental issues in kids. We started to talk a little bit about this because I am pretty much into this, and he told me that he now needs to learn a lot about ADD and ADHD in kids. When I asked him is there any difference between it, he told me that those issues are the same.

I don't believe. What do you think? 

Are there any differences between ADD and ADHD in kids?

Hi there. Ha! Sure that there is a difference. I mean, he is doing his master thesis and he doesn't have a clue about this? I don't think so...maybe he was trying to see what do you know about this.

Look darling, sure that there is a difference. 

ADHD has so many different symptoms, including trouble paying attention to something or someone, also you are being easily distracted, you are jumping from one activity to another, procrastinating, disorganization, forgetfulness, fidgeting,etc. Well, I think that ADD is totally opposite from it. Also, as far as I know, this term no one is using anymore. 

What do you mean when you say that this term is not being used anymore? You mean among the doctors or...? Why is that? I knew it, I mean I heard something about that but I didn't want to discuss with him because I wasn't too sure. I mean, he finished a college for this, now he is doing his master thesis, so I believed that he knows more than me. But I remembered that one my friend told me that her kid was diagnosed with ADHD and I didn't know what this was. She tried to explain to me, but she couldn't. I was trying to find the difference between it, but also I was not able. Why this term nobody is using anymore? Tnx a lot!

ADD is attention deficit disorder and I don't have an idea why they don't use this term anymore. That was something that I found, I was not asking someone and I didn't consult anyone about this because, to be honest, I don't care much about ADD/ADHD to find out more. All that I actually know about this is that attention-deficit disorder (ADD) and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) are both brain-based conditions that affect people’s ability to stay focused on certain things. In this case, kids are very hard to stay focused in the school, on the playground, while they are brushing their teeth, etc. 

They are basically very similar, well, they are kind of same, it is just that ADHD is kind of stronger, just like Rafferty explained when she said what ADD and ADHD are short for. So I think that your friend was somehow right when he said that these two are the same, they just differ in intensity. The good thing about these conditions is that neither one of these two is dangerous, they don't even require any treatment although some doctors might not agree with me (some people think that this should be left as it is while others think that it should be treated).

You are wrong Gaia, you might want to do a bit of a research on your own about this.

ADD is just an outdated name for ADHD. ADHD used to be called ADD in the past but now it is called ADHD and nobody is using ADD anymore, I wonder how did you friend come across this name anyway.

So no, I don't know what else to tell you about this matter, there is no difference between ADD and ADHD in kids or in adults or in anyone since these two are actually just two different names for the same disorder.

Yep, two names for a single thing.

Here's the thing. As the science and medicine progressed, they learned more and more about ADD and therefore they figured out that ADHD would suit this disorder more now than ADD so they changed it. That is all to be said about that, ADD and ADHD are the same thing. At least now you will know about this if you hear it somewhere and maybe you might be able to explain this to people who are wondering the same thing as you were wondering, 555, spread the knowledge that you have, you will get a lot in return.

It is really true, ADD and ADHD are the same thing. I bet that this guy asked you just to see if you know anything about this, you know, just for fun. He obviously already knew that these are the same thing, he wasn't wrong. I mean, would you expect from a person who is doing his master's Thesis for this matter to make a mistake about something this simple? Anyway, let's just finish it here, ADD and ADHD are the same thing, if you feel like learning more about ADHD, if you are curious or anything, you can always find more info on the internet.