My sister is 15 and she was diagnosed with attention deficit- hyperactivity disorder few weeks ago. This was not a surprise because we knew that something was going on with her. Can I get more information about this condition?

Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is a neurobehavioral disorder that interferes with a person's ability to stay on a task and to exercise age-appropriate inhibition. Warning signs of ADHD are failure to listen to instructions, fidgeting with hands and feet, talking too much, leaving projects, inability to organize oneself and school work, chores and homework unfinished, and having trouble paying attention to and responding to details. Types of ADHD are a predominantly inattentive subtype, a predominantly hyperactive-impulsive subtype, and a combined subtype. This condition is usually diagnosed in childhood. However, the condition can continue into the adult years. Treatment includes medications such as Ritalin, Dexedrine or Cylert, which are stimulants that decrease impulsivity and hyperactivity and increase attention. There is no cure for ADHD but children with the disorder usually outgrow it. I am sure that your sister will be ok. However, she will need the help of her closest ones, including her doctor.