My son is 12 and he was diagnosed with ADHD. I would like to know more about this condition. His doctor told me some basic things, but I would like to know more about it. What is the best treatment for it?

Attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder or ADHD is a neurobehavioral disorder. It affects around 5% of all American children. This condition interferes with a person's ability to stay on a task. Some of the warning signs of ADHD include failure to listen to instructions, inability to organize oneself and school work, fidgeting with hands and feet, talking too much, leaving projects, having trouble paying attention to and responding to details and many others. There are several types of ADHD. Thez are a predominantly inattentive subtype, a predominantly hyperactive-impulsive subtype and a combined subtype. ADHD is usually diagnosed in childhood but the condition can continue into the adult years. Treatment includes medications such as methylphenidate (Ritalin), dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine) or pemoline (Cylert). These medications are stimulants that decrease impulsivity and hyperactivity and increase attention. Besides medications, treatment should also include structured classroom management, parent education and tutoring and behavioral therapy for the child. There is no cure for ADHD and most children with the disorder outgrow it and some may find adaptive ways to accommodate the ADHD as they mature.