I have a very problematic child. My son is now in forth grade of elementary school. When he started he was a very promising schoolchild. His grades were high, he was very happy and everybody around him accepted him very nice. That lasted about two years. Then suddenly he becomes a different person: he was fighting all the time with his friends and became very offensive even with me. I don’t even want to talk about his grades – they were terrible!
I don’t know what is the cause of this behavior? I looked for a professional opinion of a school psychiatrist. She sad that we maybe are talking about some mental disease called ADHD and that we consider using some drug called Conserta. I feel terrible and I can’t believe my child needs a psychiatric help.
Devastating mother!

Let me tell you one thing: parent should not assume that a child has a mental disease because of a few low grades or high activity level. The truth is that ADHD is a very common condition among kids that age but let us not jump to conclusions to fast!
Few facts about ADHA!
ADHA (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder) is a neurological brain disorder that manifests as a persistent pattern of inattention and hyperactivity that is more frequent and severe than is typically observed in individuals. It is a very serious condition and like other chronic diseases it is not curable but it’s treatable and manageable! Some patients may lead productive adolescent and adult lives but some carry this disease all their life.
Medical studies have shown that drugs like Conserta and Ritalin can help children with ADHD improve focus in the classroom and improve their behavior and relationship with others.
It has affects on children similar to Cocaine - sharpening the short-term attention and coming down their behavior. My suggest for you is to look for professional help to be sure what you’re dealing with. Even if your child suffers from ADHA, drugs like Conserta, as the first choice of treatment, will make your and your son’s life much better and productive.

Hello Lilian:
I realize your post is very old so I know my words may be out of time, but I'll tell you what I think.
ADHD don't show suddenly, I think your son may be going through something difficult and he might be scared, angry or sad about something. When children feel this way they may act in a similar way to those who has been diagnosed with ADHD. You should find out if your son has been through something that scared him or made him sad or made him feel he was bad or unable to achieve something. Ask him if something bad had happened to him, make him sure you won't get angry (and do it!) and that nothing bad will happen to you, to him or the people he loves.
Hope everything's fine by now and your son is OK