My older son was diagnosed with adhd and we are very much in a dilemma what to do about it. He has had a lot of problems at school and is difficult for the teacher to handle. We have also had our fair share of difficulties with him, as parents, but we can see that he is a happy boy who basically functions well. If we do consider a drug for adhd, which drug do you think of as the best, with the fewest side effects?

I am an adult with ADHD, and I choose not to take medication. I did try ritalin in the past. It calmed me down and certainly made me less hyperactive, but all the creativity that I have, love and rely on for my job went away with the ADHD. So I choose to be who I am, and see ADHD not as an illness but as a gift.

Thank you for your answer. That is one angle I hadn't expected to hear the ADHD story from, but it is great to hear from someone like my son. You are quite right, my boy is very happy without the meds. But I don't want to keep causing trouble for the teachers either, and I think his education is very important to him. What do you think we should do then?

Generic Strattera, comprises of Atomoxetine hydrochloride, which is a selective Norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor [SNRI], used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder [ADHD] in adults and children.

Sometimes neurotransmitters that transport messages in the brain get reattached to the parent cell, which creates a chemical imbalance, and leads to mental or mood changes. Norepinephrine is one such neurotransmitter; it is linked to attentiveness and learning in individuals, besides playing a role in the emotional make-up, sleeping and dream patterns. It is believed that Atomoxetine hydrocholoride somehow prevents its reuptake, which leads to greater levels of norepinephrine being available in the brain, thus enhancing attentiveness, and having a positive effect on the other aspects.

source: SPAM

I have ADD, but my cousin has ADHD. He is on concerta. He is calm and can focus. I tried that medicine, but I had really bad side effects.
They were:

Ripping clothes(in school and at home)
Weight loss
Pulling gobs of hair out
Not sleeping

My take on this is that if you have ADHD take Concerta. If you have ADD do NOT take this drug.
Hope this helps!

P.S. Do not take Strettera. It caused me to almost hurt myself.

NOT GOOD!

there is no best drug for ADHD, or any other mental health disorders. every person is different and will react to medications differently. one thing you may want to consider is if you would rather have your kid on a stimulate adderall ritalin ect. or non stimulate which strattera is the only non stimulate drug on the market. a lot of the time finding the right meds is about trial and error which can suck and may take a while to not only find the right meds but the right dosage as well. before considering meds you may want to try a few things like diet changes sports or other activities or other ways to release energy. ADHD is wayyy over diagnosed now days and most of the time its a sign of a different underling disorder or something that will eventually pass as they get older. therapy helped a lot for me it took some time and willingness to be active in maintaining my symptoms. medication doesnt make the symptoms go away, it just makes them easier to manage. also bad reactions to meds can mean a misdiagnoses because there are plenty of disorders that have the same and or similar symptoms. If life is truely being affected then you might want to consider meds. without my meds i couldnt sit still in class or stay outta trouble finish assignments pay attention to lectures stay organized or even drive very safely. I was diagnosed at 7 and didnt start medication until i was 16 because high school became a big struggle. soo my advice to you would be to do some research monitor his symptoms diet change and go from there... hope this helps good luck!