I have a son who was diagnosed with ADHD few months ago. His doctor prescribed him some drugs, and we treat him now. However, I have a friend who told me nowadays it is possible to find natural treatment for ADHD. Could you tell me something about this, could it be possible? I am always preferred to choose natural options, rather then drugs.

You should know a recent study suggested that spending time outdoors might help reduce symptoms of attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder, known as ADHD. Parents of children aged 5 to 18 years old diagnosed with ADHD participated in a study, so I believe your son is in this group. Some activities were conducted inside, some outside in places without much greenery, such as downtown areas or parking lots. Some were conducted in relatively natural, green outdoor places such as back yards or parks.
Important is that researcher found that the symptoms of ADHD were most reduced in outdoor, green settings even in the same activity was compared across different settings. For example, playing ball outside in a natural, green setting would be more likely to reduce ADHD symptoms. Furthermore, it appears that it does not matter if the activity outside in a natural setting is done alone or in a group. The results suggest that regular exposure to natural settings may help reduce symptoms of attention deficit such as inattentiveness and lack of focus. Although additional research is necessary, this study’s findings offer an easy-to-implement option that parents of a child with ADHD may want to try, as you wanted to hear.

bppv exercises also help, they can be done outside also just having fun on the back varandah,throwing a bean bag through a small hole , while standing on one foot is also usefull for balance.
wobble boards and balance boards are also fun and benifit to balance and vertigo problems, associated in adhd kids.
exercise balls are great fun i have 4 of these and the trick is " can you climb over all four without touching the ground", adhd kids love being the centre of attention and dont even realise they are actually helping there little brains at the same time as having fun with family and friends.
being outdoors is great so why not benefit them and help reduce symptoms everyday (even whilst theyare at school) by doing some of these excercises.
cheers!

Hi there,

Just kinda stumbled across this thread, and found it interesting enough to post. I'm 24 and have been taking ritalin for ADD since i was in 3rd grade. In my younger years I didn't personally notice a difference with ritalin until i was into high school (I've read that at about this time due to pueberty and chemical changes, ritalin begins to act more like a stimulant (which is classified as being for non-ADD folks)).

Since I've taken ritalin for so long I never really thought to question it, until recently. Looking up the informaiton, Ritalin treatment can be effective in helping an ADD child grow to have lessened symptoms (as compared to kids that don't have the treatment).

What should be asked is what about ADD or ADHD is so undesirable or problematic? I searhced on wikipedia and found so very helpful information on ADD. It was here that I found that Ginko Biloba is sometimes used as an aid to those with ADD. I started taking 120mg daily about a month and a half ago. I have already found a profound difference in memory. Tests aren't particularly conclusive in people wihtout ADD, but I found a study among people with autism, that concluded a marked improvement in memory after just two weeks, and persisting for up to 3 months after treatment (suggesting that Ginko could have led to lasting structural developments within the brain). Perhaps its simply another case of differing chemistry in ADD brain or more evidence that clinicians don't like the idea of herbal remedies.

I can't say that Ginko would help with children, but I don't see any harm in trying. Furthermore, I agree that ADD is simply a different way of learning/percieving. What is important for people with ADD is for them to understand what "inhibits" them from "normal" attentiveness (i.e. getting better at shifting ones attention from one thing to another, percieving a lack of mental motivation to focus on one thing or another...)
Steering clear of TV and video games might also aid in development of attentiveness (physical activities, as suggested the previous guest, sound like a great alternative).

Well, I hope that helps out. I'd deffinately recomend researching ADD on Wikipedia.

~Eric

After my son was diagnosed with Celiac Disease (after not knowing what was wrong for 5 years!!!!!)... We found that he had neuro issues as many Celiac Disease kids do. The symptoms were suggestive of ADHD. Trouble focusing, hyperactivity, impulsivity, etc....

After trying several remedies we have found a couple that have worked AWESOME and we have kept our son off of Ritalin, concerta, vyvanese, Straterra, and so many other stimulants that may help in the short term but have too many long term affects that are not pleasant.

Any way the products we have used successfully are:
ATTEND (by Vaxa)
Focus (by Native Remedies)
Brightspark (by Native Remedies)
Calm Child (by Planetary)
L Acetyl Carnitine

Of course, you will have try the different products to see which one works for you. We have found that a combination works for our son.

Best of success to you and yours

Could you tell me what dosage you use with the LAC? I found this thread because I am searching for info on LAC for adhd and natural meds. My son has been on meds and we will not go that route again.

TIA,
Patty

It may help to get a heavy metals read out on the burden the body has to deal with before you give too many meds.

Hi:
I am a believer in nature remedies. I raised a son with true ADHD. He is now 20 and in college. Natural remedies involve a holistic approach. Unfortunately, most of our traditional public schools do not offer environments that are friendly to ADHD children. Those children are typically bright, but the activity needs interfere with their ability to learn. As a result, good options are home schooling or a private environment like Montesorri, which promotes exploratory learning, as opposed to a directed teaching environment. You have to be your child's advocate. You can also ask for special ed consideration under the "other" category. This is not "labeling" as most people might think. Your child's middle and high school transcripts would only show the term "special ed" if the child is in classes that are titled for special ed learning. Special ed programs would office small group learning as opposed to 36+ kids in a room where over stimulation is the norm. Also protect your child socially. These children typically have issues with patience, etc., which causes other kids to be annoyed. ADHD kids can be delightful. They ask a lot of questions and they are smart. Create an environment at home that allows movement and thinking while at the same time teaches appropriate behavior. Don't make the child feel like he/she is not normal. You'll need to re-direct the energy to constructive activities instead of punishing. I hope this helps.

In addition to my last post. Don't deny your child the medication if he/she needs it to feel ok. Otherwise, you will create a world of failure for your child. If he/she had diabetes or some other problem, you would give him/h the medicine because they needed it.

Has anyone taken a look at The Total Focus Program by Dr. Robert Myers?

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Today, we have discussed that such behavior is often diagnosed as symptoms of ADHD. ADHD children are generally forgetful, disruptive, impulsive, easily distracted and hyperactive. More adults are being diagnosed with ADHD, since this ever-present condition continues into adulthood, shown by the increasing volume of research conducted in the field of medicine. ADHD is a hereditary disorder, with nearly five percent of the cases being the result of a physical or chemical brain injury endured while in the womb.

Most people are diagnosed with ADD or ADHD as children. Through them, we can more about the many faces of Attention Deficit Disorder, with or without obvious hyperactivity.

Years ago, one of my most important breakthroughs was with a 12-year-old client. His first statement to me was startling.

With a look of anguish, he blurted, "It hurts to be a human when I think of and see all that we have done to this planet. But, I know I am here to make it better."

Scanning his energy, I could sense the pain that he was in. To me, it was as if he had been born without skin. He could feel everything around him. He had no personal boundaries.

I got diagnosed with adult ADHD at age 25. I choose to be medicated - and do not believe it changes who I am. It simply organizes things into compartments so I can see the big picture.

Just as an example of how it compares for me : Before I could compose a piece of music for a violin, but could never get the cello, and viola in sync to put together the whole show. Now I can build, listen, and study the entire orchestra without getting distracted, uninterested, defeated or feel like it's too great of a challenge.

Now I know what people meant by "if you put your mind to it, you can do anything."

I do feel sad that my parents did not take me to get diagnosed as a child although all of the signs were there. I had a lot of social challenges and academic that could have easily be solved if I was medicated. Without going into my whole life story, I grew up full speed trying to collect various hobbies, changing my path every 10 seconds, and finishing school as quickly as possible because I couldn't grasp the value of listening to a professor lecture.

I recommend medicating your child - get a great psychologist to work along side him, who listens to him. ADHD almost always has co-morbid conditions such as anxiety or depression because it's HARD growing up knowing that you are different. And sadly, a lot of ADHD medications have a side effect of causing even more anxiety. It's a struggle to find a good fit for a child's medication - and it's difficult for a child to express how they are feeling and know what might be a side effect or what is normal growing up challenges.

Being diagnosed and medicated changed my life for the better.