Excuse me for asking this question. I am a rape survivor, and a domestic violence survivor. I had a question about memory loss. I was beaten for 3 years, and it was never in the face. I had bumps on the back of my head, and I was choked. I was punched, slapped, kicked, my hair was pulled, choked, thrown against a wall or onto the floor, threatened with a knife, etc.. I am trying to be as specific as I can be, because I am terrified, to be honest. I cannot remember some things, like, I can't recall what I did over the weekend. Like, I can vaguely picture it, and then try to figure it out. It takes me long to figure it out, but I try. I can't remember some things that I did a week ago, let alone 2 days. The more I think about it, my head hurts, the front part of it (forehead).

I read that depression can play a part, and I think that I may have it, but I do not know. I get a lot of nightmares at night, 4 typically, and I cry myself to sleep. I cry almost every day, and there used to be a time I was suicidal. Could the fact that, lets say I do have depression, be the cause for my not remembering some things or could the fact that I was beaten (past tense) that it affected me? I always have had ringing problems in my ear (I have an ear problem), and I would just like my memory back. I am below the age of 21, I am not a minor anymore, but I feel dumb and stupid that I can't remember things. I cannot remember words as well anymore, I can't remember things.

I hope it was alright to ask that, and thank you for any help I can get on this. Even if it is just a link to something on memory, I have read a lot up on the subject, but it is hard to find what I would like to truly find out on this specifically. Thank you.

It sounds like you may have suffered some irreversible brain damage. Every time you get thrown against the wall, onto the ground, slapped, hair pulled, your brain get sloshed forcefully against the inside of your skull resulting in the death of brain cells. This is called a concussion. The effects of a concussion is subtle but cumulative. That means that each time you get a concussion, more brain cells will die, resulting in a gradual loss in cognitive function. This is the physical aspect of domestic abuse. In answer to your question. chronic depresson and chronic fear resulting from an abusive relationship can indeed cause memory loss. These negative emotional states can elevate the blood level of cortisol and epinephrine, both of which can impair memory. You will need to get out of an abusive relationship before you can begin to recover. Call the police the next time you are physically abused, and have the abuser arrested. Go to a woman's shelter if you have no place else to go.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I haven't been hit since October, and it has stopped. They call it aftermath, ha, know all about it already.. its just rough, but, I really do appreciate it. Thanks again.

What your probably suffering from is Post traumatic stress disorder. You should get some counseling and therapy, call a mental health provider asap.

Wow,,,,I had the same thing happen to me. Head bashed in the concrete floor over n over broken nose, fear I'd pea my pants when he came near me out of pure fear. I'd see lightening flashes every time my head was hit hard or on ground, strangled,,,,that lasted 6 straight daily years, black eyes, secluded f society, locked up in a bunk house for days w no running water food. No ph, it stopped 6-7 yrs ago, and now I am having sevier memory issues, I opened a can of Pepsi sat it on my counter Nd walked to bedroom. Returned and saw the can opened and asked my husband who's it was. He said I oped it. I didn't remember. I'm scared of being alone. I can't remember simple things nymore, like my brain is on pause constantly, w ringing in my ears and headaches on right side of my forehead where it was beat in. I was diagnosed w PTSD yrs ago but now I was laid off my job n have no insurance I need help. I'm on Prozac for 3 yrs but not doing anything. I'd rather stay in bed now than anything.
Does domestic violence play a big part in head trauma memory loss? I'm scared of being alone. Very co defendant, this isn't who I use to be before the violence. I've been to support groups but it only makes me angry n sad having to relive it. I just need people like me who can relate n talk. Or people thT care.