Hello. My sister is pregnant; however she has been consuming alcohol in this period. I am afraid this might have repercussions on a baby’s health. She is 7 months pregnant, so I am wondering whether fetal alcohol syndrome can be diagnosed before a baby’s birth. Is this possible? I would appreciate if anyone could reply.

Hello. I am afraid that fetal alcohol syndrome cannot be diagnosed before a baby is born. The detail that mother drinks can make doctors to follow this pregnancy. Doctors are obliged to worn mother about possible consequences to her baby. Baby could even have mental problems and disorder. Heart problems are also possible. You haven’t mentioned how often your sister drinks. Try to make her stop. Explain her how this is not good for the baby. I hope she will come to a sense. Bye!

Hallo,
I have to agree with previous poster. Diagnosing fetal alcohol syndrome can only be done after the birth, because the symptoms can only then be noticed. Establishing diagnosis for fetal alcohol syndrome need evidence of babies size and babies weight. Also head size is important, than eyes and other parts of the head. The problem is that there is no special clinical feature that can definitely confirm the existence of fetal alcohol syndrome.
How long has your sister been drinking and in what amounts? She still has some time before the birth, and even the formation of the baby is almost completed she should stop with alcohol drinking at once. Is she experiencing any complications with the pregnancy now?