Hello. So, I recently have found that my mom went to see her cardiologist without telling anyone. Apparently, she has some health issues and she is trying to cope with it for a while now. I found out that she has a diagnose, a Mallory-Weiss Syndrome, so I did some researches about this, so I quite do know what this is. Anyway, she is complaining about chest pain, so I assume that this is related to this syndrome? Or not? Also, she drinks a glass of wine occasionally, before lunch. I am not sure how this related is, so I really want to know more about this. 

Hi there. This is a syndrome that is caused by vomiting that is caused by alcoholism or bulimia.  So, I think that you should not be surprised because you are feeling that chest pain after drinking alcohol if you are diagnosed with this syndrome.  So, she should generally visit her doctor once again if she feels this type of pain,  just in order to see what he is going to tell her. And for long she has this syndrome, is she taking anything to treat it or not? Sometimes, even that glass of wine is bad. A drop of alcohol can be bad for her. 

I am not sure what you were talking with your doctor, who told you about this diagnose in the first place, but drinking alcohol and having a Mallory - Weiss syndrome is not that good option. Is not a good option at all, because drinking alcohol, actually drinking large amounts of alcohol can cause so many issues and even severe liver disease. And I think that you know that. My question is, why someone even wants to drink alcohol in the first place when you are already diagnosed with such syndrome? I am not smart about this. Quit alcohol, you don't need it. 

Celebrity

Look, it is hard for us to tell you why this happens and can you even drink alcohol. As long as you don't exaggerate in it, in drinking alcohol, I think that it can make some huge damage to your heart. There is only one recommendation to all of you who already do know that you have a Mallory - Weiss Syndrome. As your healthcare provider can you drink alcohol, and if you can, how many of it you can have it. That is the best option and the best solution. For example, I would not recommend you to do that, but one thing you should know - I am not a doctor. 

Look, I agree that no one of us from here is a doctor who can give a proper and correct advice, but since we do know that this type of syndrome is defined as upper gastrointestinal bleeding from vomiting-induced mucosal lacerations and I think that alcohol can make it only worse. That is why I recommend not to drink alcohol, but I totally agree that anyone with this syndrome should consult about this with a health care provider. There are several ways of the treatment of this syndrome and I don't know how you were treating it. But also on that depends so many things, even how many alcohols you can drink. 

Hello. I am also diagnosed with this syndrome. I got diagnosed three years ago when I was 36 years old. So, I can't talk like doctors can, but I can talk from my own experience. Alcohol never did anything good for me. Like so many of you, I have tried it a couple of months after I got this diagnose, and I felt really bad. My stomach hurt a lot, I felt that my heart is beating faster than usual, and this chest pain really was bad and I was not able to stand it anymore. Anyway, I never went to tell this to my doctor, I just decide that I will quit drinking alcohol. So, I did and this pain has never returned.

I am not sure that this all happens specifically because of the alcohol intake, but it is possible. But I have to agree with this one, that alcohol does increase your risk for a Mallory-Weiss tear and in that case, you can imagine what alcohol can do if you are already diagnosed with it. Now, alcohol use over a long period can cause liver damage and liver damage also increases your risk for a tear. So, here is what you can do - you can drink very small amounts of alcohol, two small glasses per week. That is enough and no more. But again, consult your healthcare provider.