Hello. I am currently pregnant. I must admit that lately I have attended some feasts and I have consumed alcohol. It's not that I am an alcoholic, but I am afraid I have hurt my baby. How can I know is my child affected by fetal alcohol syndrome? I would be grateful for all your replies. Bye!

Hello. Unfortunately, diagnosis cannot be established before baby is born. The detail that you consumed alcohol during pregnancy is very important. It will lead your doctor to look for signs and symptoms of fetal alcohol syndrome. The most obvious are facial features. Some of them are: thin upper lip, short nose, small eyes and smooth skin between nose and upper lip. These signs do not have to mean that your baby must have FAS. Some normal babies can have these signs as well. Doctors observe heart development and IQ potential later. Growth impairment can also be a sign. I hope your baby will be all right. Just stop using alcohol during pregnancy, even on feasts.