Hello! My friend has just found out that her child suffers from Heller’s syndrome. She is devastated and she doesn’t know what to do. Her son was a perfectly normal, healthy child till the age of three when his mental development stopped and he started to lose memory and didn’t know the things he already learned. Can Heller's syndrome be cured?

Hello! Unfortunately Heller’s syndrome can’t be cured. Treatment is almost the same as in children with autism where medications and behavior therapy are combined. The outcome with child with Heller’s syndrome is very poor, even worse that in children with autism. The loss of language and other skills is permanent. Usually children with this kind of disorder may need residential care in a group home.

Hello there,

Since arda has answered basics of your question I would like to add that I am very sorry that your friend’s child is suffering from such severe condition such as Heller's syndrome. And unfortunately there is no cure for this condition and most of mental illnesses and conditions (autism as well) are not curable. Sometimes different types of treatment can get some improvement but usually this doesn’t last more than some certain period of time so basically every approach with every child is different.

I hope that your friends will be brave enough to find the best way to cope with this condition and that you will be their support in these difficult times. Good luck and keep us posted about their child condition.