Hi. My friend’s wife was drinking while she was pregnant. Her child is 4 years old, but doctors now suspect he has an alcohol-related neurodevelopmental disorder (ARND). I would like to know how common this condition is. If anyone knows something, I hope he will share this with me. Thanks for replying.

Hello. Alcohol related neurodevelopmental disorder is just a manifestation of fetal alcohol disease. It appears when mother uses huge amounts of alcohol during pregnancy. ARND refers to mental and neurological disorders that are related to alcohol consuming in pregnant women. I think that this condition is not so common. There are kids with FAS without ARND. You can check this with a pediatrician. I hope he/she will have some reliable facts about this. Please, let me know if you find out anything. Good luck! Bye