My brother has been diagnosed with crohn’s disease. I know that restrictions in diet are necessary, but I am not sure which ones. He likes to drink, so I would like to ask about alcohol consumption in this type of disease. Can someone tell me this? Your help is more than welcomed.

I have had this conversation with my GI doctor in the past who basically said that anything in excess can be dangerous. A couple beers at a BBQ once in a while is okay but the scenario is unique to each patient. Some can not tolorate alcohol at all. Alcohol consumption when taking specific medications(Lomotil, Donnatal) typically prescribed to Crohn's patients is problematic because it enhances the sedative effect of the medications. So drinking and taking these medicines together is not a good idea, especially if one drinks a lot Ale and Hefenwizen have been known to cause increased diarhea symptoms in IBD patients while in other patients a few of these drinks actually has a positive impact on the bowel activity...maybe the grains or yeast in the beer or simply the sedative effect of alcohol? Strongly advise caution when drinking in excess of wine and spirits or mixed cocktails for IBD patients as it can initiate a flare up of the disease or cause increased bloody stool and abdominal pain. And alcohol's impact on liver and kidneys is another issue all together.