Hey, I was wondering if there any link between alcohol and levels of arteriosclerosis? Since my sister has arteriosclerosis and she still drinks alcohol occasionally. I don't know if this dangerous or not, but I am trying to convince her that alcohol is not good for her in any case since her heart starts to beat faster and I don't like that.  I mean, no one does. And, what about moderate drinking - yes or no?  Do you have any experience with this, because if you do I would really like you to share certain things with me...I am worried about my sister, understand me. 

Hi, chest pain after drinking alcohol is something that can affect anyone who has any type of heart issues.Since my husband has those issues, I was asking my doctor about it and he tried the explain to me that the association between regular alcohol intake and incident carotid atherosclerosis, and when I say that, I mean really atherogenesis, was J-shaped, and I think that you know what it means.  It means that, according to this, it seems that with light drinkers facing a lower risk than either heavy drinkers or abstainers.So, basically there is a connection and this is all I know. Good luck!

I am not sure about the levels of arteriosclerosis, but I can talk about moderate drinking since I think that I know pretty much about this. If you quit with alcohol, sure, you will be healthier. But that doesn't mean that your heart will "repair" and that you won't have heart issues no more. Also, people are making one huge mistake. Drinking one glass of alcohol per day won't make a damage. I also was reading some researches before, where it says that you can make your heart work even better if you are drinking two glasses of wine. I don't know if this a correct, but I am sure that it can't make a damage to you.   

hello guys. may I join your topic? I am reading a lot about moderate drinking, and to be honest, I have no idea what this type of drinking is? just like every other young person (I am 19 years old) I do drink alcohol and I do it very often. Not every day, but at least four days a week. I never noticed that I am not feeling good because my heart beats faster, I am in pain when I get up, but also this pain goes away very soon. So, what is moderate drinking? Maybe I sound silly to all of you, but I don't know what this is and what I should do about this pain. Drink or not to drink? :/ Tnx in advance.

No, you are not silly at all, don't think that you are. A lot of people generally doesn't know this definition. But somehow they are afraid to ask what this means. Well, moderate drinking is a definition that defines up to four alcoholic drinks for men and three for women every, but every day. Also, it defines a maximum of 14 drinks for men and seven drinks for women per week,  which is, you will agree with me, a lot. That is what moderate drinking means and you now need to see is this "fits" your drinking or not. 

Sure, you should not be ashamed to ask this. Generally, it is unbelievable that no one of us remembered to explain this to you, especially a young people don't know much about it. Generally, there is no much philosophy about this - if you see that drinking is bothering you, then quit. You are way too young to risk some health issues in your life. If you notice that your heart beats fast, that is one more of the signs. I don't want to tell you about chest pain or stomach pain because it can be really nasty and it is related to drinking alcohol. 

Is 50 percent blockage in your arteries bad. Is drinking alcohol cause this?

Shining Star
Possible. I would avoid alcohol in the future.