Hello folks. It seems to me that my friends daughter has severe anxiety attacks. Anyway, he tried to explain it to me, he was confused and I understand him. He took her to the expert who told him that she really has anxiety attacks. Now, they need to do some researches, he needs to wait for a couple of days so he is more stressed than ever.

He wants to know what type of medicines are the best for her. I can't tell him because I don't know are the medications the same for teens and for adults.

So, this is his question - What meds can I give to her?

I understand that your friend is very worried. You should explain to him that for teens or anyone else, anxiety is a normal reaction to stress and that a lot of teens can have it. Also, he needs to know that a lot of teens just can find a good way to cope with it alone. But, very often just admitting that a situation is stressful means that you are ready to deal with anxiety. Also, it is very hard for me to tell you what medicines are the best for his daughter, but I am sure  professional or therapist will tell him very soon what she should use. 

You should not give her any medications because you don't know anything about her and neither do you know anything about the medications that she would use. These medications that are used for treating anxiety and panic attacks can be really dangerous if they are not handled as they should be. It would be best to wait until those tests are done (I don't understand why is she doing any tests if she is suffering from anxiety, that is not how anxiety is diagnosed) and then ask her doctor which medications she should take, I think that would be the best solution.

I actually wanted to suggest Lexapro since people say that it is really useful when it comes to fighting anxiety but after reading what Guest wrote, I think that he (she) is completely right. It wouldn't be smart for her to take any medications before consulting with her doctor, these medications can indeed be dangerous. I mean, take a few minutes and search around the internet about the side effects of Lexapro, just use this medication as an example. There are hundreds of possible side effects and some of these might be really dangerous, that is why it is important to consult a doctor first.

Antidepressants are medications which are used to treat anxiety and anxiety attacks but I will have to agree with the people who wrote above me, she shouldn't take any medications before consulting with her doctor first. And when it comes to antidepressants, they sometimes do more bad than good stuff, you know. Maybe you want to think about giving her some natural remedies, you can ask in the pharmacy about some teas that are used for treating anxiety as well, plus you don't have to consult her doctor about these teas because these cannot harm her in any way, they can only do her good.

Of course, I told him to wait to see what doctors will tell him. I told him that he should not try to give her any type of medicines without the doctor, because the doctor will tell him what are the next steps and what he should do. I understand that he is worried and I am afraid that he will do something because of this fear. I told him that I am there for him, no matter what. 

I was talking to him today and he told me that they will have some final results in two days. I hope that they will tell him more about those medicines. 

I don't know what is everyone talking about, I mean, I know that these medications can indeed have some serious side effects but what are the chances of these side effects to occur? And even the doctor cannot be sure if anybody is going to experience any side effects, it just happens, just simply cannot be sure that it isn't going to happen. This is why I think that you should be able to take medications without consulting with your doctor but you have to accept the fact that it might not turn out to be good and you have to be prepared for that.

I totally agree with you. Nothing without consulting a doctor because it can turn to something really bad. There are so many medications that he can prescribe to her and I am sure that she will experience some side - effects at the beginning, but that is normal. He needs to be prepared to it and I am sure that they will notice it. Look, every medicine has it's own side - effects and some of them will just go away for a while, but if they don't that means that it is time for new medicine. But, you should tell him to wait because as far as I understand it, they discovered it on time. No reason for worry.