Hi everybody,

So my friend is suffering from both anxiety and depression and he heard that this could be treated with medical marijuana. Does anyone have any thoughts about this? I've heard some people saying that medical marijuana can indeed help treat depression and anxiety while others say that it just made their condition even worse so I am not sure who to trust. My friend is determined to start using medical marijuana for this matter but I want to investigate a bit about it before he starts using it because I know that he won't do anything to find out more about it.

You have said it yourself, medical marijuana might help some people who are suffering from depression and anxiety while it is only going to make it worse for others. I think that your friend should just give it a try and see what happens, if he happens to feel worse, then he should simply stop using it. I have a friend who is suffering from depression and he is using medical marijuana for some time now, it is doing him no good even though he is sure that it is helping him (everybody can see that it is only making his condition even worse).

I think that the ChocolateBar is right, I don't really think that you can know for sure if smoking weed is going to help treat someone's depression and anxiety or if it is going to make it all worse. I guess that the best thing that your friend could do is just try it and see how it goes. He should be aware that if he doesn't notice any progress, that he should stop smoking weed and maybe search for some other treatment option for his depression and anxiety. There are numerous medications and lifestyle changes which might be able to help him.

Okay, so I guess that he is actually right about this, he will try and see how it goes. Do you know if there are any known odds when it comes to treating this, what are the chances that medical marijuana is actually going to work for his depression and anxiety? And also, I don't know much about medical marijuana so any info really that you have about it could be of some use to me, I really care about my friend and like I said, he never pays any attention to these kind of things so I have to be careful instead of him.

There are no odds, he will just have to use it and see if it is going to work for him. Useful info about medical marijuana, let's see... it has no side effects, maybe just a small headache if you use too much of it, it is used for treating a lot of things so depression and anxiety are just two of them, marijuana is able to make you only mentally addicted to it, not physically, hmm... it is still illegal in most countries of the world but the countries where it is legal have a smaller crime rate and people living there are happier than in other countries where it isn't legal.

No! Don't you even try it! Even if medical marijuana can help in so many things and it can help you relieve your pain when you are feeling bad or down, if you have problems with anxiety and depression, medical marijuana can make it worse than you can imagine. I know it because I had experience with this on my own skin. You should definitely seek for another way to help yourself if you are suffering from this because marijuana is not your option and it should not be your option. I have to agree with Chocolat Bar on this one, don't use it! I wish that I knew this back when I started to use it. Trust me, in the condition that I were back then, I don't ever want to go back. Ever!

Celebrity

You can try it, but I am sure that it won't work for you.

I am aware that some researchers showed that medical marijuana MIGHT help in revealing the pain, but that is not correct. It can make you feel even worse. Sure, this is not the fact for everyone, but for most people it is.

Generally, the evaluation of medical marijuana for depression is still in its early stages and no one can tell for sure is this helpful or not. Right now, researchers share that possible benefits include the restoration of “normal” endocannabinoid function and mood stabilization.

But if I were you, I would avoid medical marijuana for anxiety and depression. 

Guys, I really don't know why are you so against medical marijuana. I have totally positive experience with it. I am suffering from depression for a while now and because of medical marijuana, I am feeling much better. So, marijuana helped me with my depression and it makes it manageable and evens out the rough edges. Now, while I might occasionally get depressed, it is appropriate for the situation and temporary. The most important thing is that marijuana is not controlling my life, but it helped me a lot and it helps me now as well. Fighting my depression was my biggest challenge ever. I am not saying that you should use it, but give it a chance. Maybe you won't be sorry.

Celebrity

What do you want to say? That everyone should try to use medical pot on their own, without consulting a doctor? You are right, some people are for it, while some just can't stand it. I don't know what to tell since I was not using marijuana to treat my depression and I am sure that I won't use it. I am aware that medical marijuana has so many good sides, such as in relieving the pain, but I am sure that this is not the proper choice when you need to treat depression. We all read those studies where it says that marijuana helped so many people. But have you ever read articles about mental disease? I don't remember that it says that marijuana was good for it...Correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with you and I support this idea of consulting with someone who is an expert. But, marijuana has also been linked with other mental health conditions. And I do agree that if you’re at a high risk of psychosis, it’s important to know that marijuana may trigger schizophrenia or psychosis. But it is NOT the case with anxiety and depression. Sure, psychosis is a serious mental disorder characterized by a detachment from reality, while anxiety and depression are something that is treatable. And I never said that medical marijuana has no side - effects, because it has. Like so many other medications. Read more about this in here:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/medical-answers/side-effects-of-medical-marijuana