Guys, I need your help now more than ever. It is not for me, it is for my cousin Karen. She is 28 years old and she is pregnant. Finally! They wanted to have this baby for more than 5 years (they are married for 9 years now). 

They did it so they were super happy. But Karen started to feel weird and I recognized her problem immediately - anxiety and panic attacks. Doctors confirmed it.

I want to help her but I don't know how. How to cope with anxiety and panic attacks while being pregnant?

I really need some help soon. 

It is very stressful for pregnant girl. Very often ladies do have panic attacks when they are pregnant. They are scared and this is something that I do understand. You need to understand that pregnancy is life changing event and it can affect every women. 

You should be there for her and you should advice her to start to think about something else, not about those panic attacks. Slow, deep breath can also reduce those attacks.

Tell her also to try to imagine some nice, peaceful place, she can imagine that she is there. 

Also, healthy and balanced diet program can help as well. 

I would recommend psychotherapy for her in this case. People who are suffering from anxiety and panic attacks usually take some antidepressants in order to overcome it (just like I did) but since this girl is pregnant, I don't think that she should be taking any kind of medications. Psychotherapy proved to help people who are suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, I think that she would benefit from this the most. 

On the other hand, if she just wants to learn how to cope with it, she can find some useful techniques and tricks online, these should be able to help her.

Pregnancy is a new time in every woman's life. Somehow, it is normal that they are acting differently but anxiety and panic attacks can be really cruel to pregnant girl. I agree with Guest, I would recommend psychotherapy as well because I think that this really matters. She can't deal with this on her own because it's important to realize that some people, especially girl that develop anxiety attacks never lose them, even when they are the result of pregnancy hormonal changes. I support the idea of learning some trick online, but there is not better tricks than those that expert can recommend.

She didn't want to listen to me when I told her that she has classical signs of anxiety. I know to recognize it because I am too much into it. She told me that she believes that her hormones are getting wild and that is the reason because she is panicking a lot lately. 

My good friend is psychiatrist and he really helped me a lot. I am thinking about suggesting him to go with me next time and to try to talk to her, but I am scared that I will just make it worse.

I can see that she is getting worse day by day...

The worst thing about all this is that it can hurt her baby, that is why she needs to seek professional help. I am sure that she loves her baby already and you can use that in order to convince her to talk to a psychologist. Tell her that her baby is in danger because of her panic attacks (which is actually true) and then she will definitely think about doing what you tell her to do. It is very important to treat this while she is still pregnant or her baby is going to have some problems in the future.

I had the exact same problem and I didn't go to the doctor nor to a psychologist. I found this website that explained quite well how to fight anxiety and panic attacks and how to cope with these, especially if you are pregnant. I didn't believe it at first but once I've started doing those things I felt such a relief. I'm afraid that I no longer remember the website or the techniques that I have used but I am sure that you can find these somewhere on the internet if you would just search for techniques to overcome anxiety and panic attacks.

It is OK for her to act and feel differently during the pregnancy. Actually, a lot of people doesn't know that anxiety and stress during pregnancy are more common than you might think and that even women who have never had a panic attack before may experience one while they're expecting. I think that she should not try anything alone, she should seek for help. In lot of cases, a combination of cognitive and behavioral therapies will definitely help. Cognitive therapy can help people to feel much better, to think positively instead of negative thoughts.  Behavioral therapies, such as mindfulness exercises, also may help. But, she needs to consult with someone. 

Well, if the doctor is the one who told her that she is suffering from anxiety and panic attacks, then he should have told her what to do about it as well, I don't know which doctor would tell her that she is suffering from these things and give her no advice regarding how to treat them or how to at least learn how to cope with them.

There are some teas made specially for anxiety, she should ask in the pharmacy for these, they will know there, they are very good and will significantly decrease the amount of stress that she is experiencing.

Isn't that normal? I mean, my wife was unbearable while she was pregnant, she made me go mad for dozen of times, it happened a couple of times during her pregnancy that she got me so mad that I would just go and sleep somewhere else. However, after she delivered, she went back to being normal. I think that this is all going to stop once she gives birth so I don't think that she should do anything in order to treat this because it is not a disorder, it is just her pregnancy messing up with her hormones, at least that's what I think.