I have been given local anesthetics during my dental surgery. When I came home from the surgery I experienced strange breathing problems that I have never had before. I can’t link them to anything else but this local anesthetic? I phoned the dentist and asked him what anesthetic it was. He told me novacaine.

Well, the truth is that local anesthetics may have fewer side effects than narcotics, as the medicine works where it is needed and not on the whole body. Nausea, sleepiness, breathing problems or constipation are common side effects experienced from narcotics and they haven’t been reported with local anesthetics.

Did you know that they mix ephenephrine with the novacaine as a usual practice? I read up on that and sometimes that can cause problems...I think more with the heart though. You should look into that.