I went to the dentist yesterday and had four novocaine shots just below my upper lip. Now this morning I have a runny nose and am sneezing. I feel like I have a cold. It is still going on 6 hours after waking and 21 hours after the injections. Is this just coincidence or is this a common reaction to novocaine?

I don't have the answer to your question but I just had a similar thing happen to me.  I have had trouble with allergies (sinus type stuff) for a long time.  And for what ever reason I was lazy and didn't go to the dentist for 3 yrs.  But during that time I didn't have any allergy problems and never had a cold.  I finally went back to the dentist to get a checkup and cleaning.  Well, he gave me four shots of novacaine to numb me for a deep cleaning.  and two days later i have the worst cold i can remember.  I hope someone knows something about this topic.  But I at least wanted to let you know that i do not think it is a coincidence.

This also happens to me now. I have been going to the dentist and getting novocaine for 40 years and now at my last two appts, once the novocaine starts to wear off, I have the same symptoms. I know I am not crazy or it's not a coincidence. I am going to talk to my dentist about it.

Absolutely. I had a novocaine shot near my front teeth for an emergency fix of a front tooth filling that had come out and now I'm suffering from hay fever symptoms from the same side as the injection. The pain is like there is hot pepper up my nose and it keeps running and running. No amount of antihisimine or pain relief is helping. it appears to be related to the proximity of the injection to the sinuses.

Because the same thing is happening to me today (after four shots of novocaine yesterday afternoon), I Googled it and found this post. My intuition was that the novocaine caused the cold/hay-feverish symptoms. Interesting to see that it's happened to others.

Wow, glad I found this. I also had two front teeth fixed this morning, and by mid afternoon I have running nose watering eyes, sneezing and burning sensation in my nose.I never had a cold come on so fast so bad. But have had alot of dental work done, this is first time with this.

how long did it take to go away. I had work done yesterday and my nose feels so itchy and there is tenderness where the injection was. does it go away I do not think its a real infection but due to Novocain somehow

I had similar sudden onset of severe head cold symptoms, intense sneezing, itchy nose and eyes, constant runny nose, stuffy head, watery eyes within two hours of lidocaine injections for a small scar repair on my nose.  I have no known allergies.  Doctors nurse says no way this is just coincidence.  

Wow everyone, I thought I was crazy. Just went to dentist Friday and now I feel like I have a cold. Sneezing, runny nose etc. I remember thinking as I was in dental chair, wow when is he gonna stop numbing me and take the needleout? He gave me alot. Now two days later my lips feel a little numb. Was fine yesterday but concerned why they feel numb today. Any answers anyone?

I had the exact same thing yesterday: felt fine before dentist. Injection near front upper tooth. felt something like a little streak of nerve pain during the injection that went up into the nose and sinuses on that side, told the dentist I thought I was going to sneeze during the injection. now, the next day: very bad runny nose, lots of sneezing, feels like a cold!

If you look at drawings of facial nerves, I suspect a nerve leading from area of upper front teeth up to nose and sinus area, has been irritated by the needle. That explains the nerve pain I felt, as well as the strong feeling of needing to sneeze. I only hope the constantly running nose and sneezy feelings stop on their own at some point.

Amazing!! I went to the dentist this morning to get a filling for a chipped tooth. When the dentist injected me, I got this hot burning sensation that ran up through the left side of my face up into my eye. Shortly after I left the office and the novacain began wearing off, I began sneezing uncontrollably and now my sinus is very sensitive, sore and mucus is running steadily from my nose. My eye is also weeping......

Wow this is happening to me right now.  I am 53 and it has never happened before and I do not have allergies.  Went for dental work yesterday had a long injection of novocaine and I want to rub my nose off my face.  I am miserable.  It hurts.  I had a little blood. It is itchy and runs constantly and my head aches

yep. same thing going n with me today, runny nose cold symptoms, itching.  We all need to ask our dentists and post an answer for everyone , Has to be Novicaine.  it was my front tooth also.

I had large lft side filling and 2 small frontal ones replaced yesterday at dentist. 1st injection to lft topside gum i felt tingling up lft side of my nose ( sudden onset adrenaline rush - not nice!) then a 2nd inj to front of gum for the front fillings,almost instantly after the 2nd injection I wanted to sneeze. For the rest of yesterday I was sneezing ,runny nose, watering lft eye and felt I had a head cold! today still feel the effects, sound congested, still sneezing but not so bad, my eye is fine but my nose still constantly running. Have just read some of the other notes and Im glad its not just me.