Are Celiac Disease and Dental Problems Related? My father, who is 57 years old, has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease almost 3 months ago. He has been feeling some abdominal pain and fatigue combined with really pale stool. After the examination doctor concluded that he is suffering from Celiac Disease and prescribed the therapy needed. Anyway, recently, my father had dental problems, teeth discoloration so I was wondering about the possible link with Celiac Disease.

You are right. There are many symptoms of celiac disease. Tooth discoloration is one of those. Also, loss of enamel might occur. Of course, for all of these teeth problems he might see a dentist, but until the main condition is controlled, I am afraid that these symptoms will emerge from time to time. To tell the truth, teeth troubles us just one of many symptoms of celiac disease. There are fatigue, behavior changes, joint pain, seizures, weight loss, diarrhea... He could consider himself lucky for only one symptom now.

I have a patient who has Celiac who had profound dental manifestaions of this disease. Her enamel hyoplasia was so bad that bonded composite filing material would not stick for any length of time. Her softer than average teeth were wearing down and changing her bite. To stop the tooth loss and to improve her smile, she had a smile makeover with more permanent porcelain crowns. See case report:

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed