Hi Yall, I have diabetes type 2 and I have been on metformin for several years now. More recently I have read that metformin could cause heart problems. Gee, that's really scary. I would like to know if there is any truth to this. Hopefully there is no truth to this and if so would put my mind at ease. It seems like there are so many side effects from just about everything including some of the foods we eat. It's enough to make you paranoid. Does anyone have any information on this. I'd appreciate it if you would share that with me. Thanks.

It is reported that older individuals with type 2 who take sulfonylureas may have a higher risk of developing heart problems that individuals taking metformin. A two year study of over 8,000 individuals with type 2 who were 65 and older, 12.4 percent who started with sulfonylurea had a heart attack or other heart complications compared with 10.4 percent of those who started with metformin. Moreover, individuals taking sulfonylurea experienced heart issues sooner after starting therapy than individuals taking metformin. According to Alex Z. Fu, PhD, an associate faculty member in the department of quantitative health sciences at the Cleveland Clinic, "The findings are important because older patients with diabetes are at particular risk for cardiovascular disease, and sulfonylureas continue to remain a commonly used medication in this population”. Fu notes, Sulfonylurea drugs, which include chlorpropamide glyburide, glipizide, tolazamide, and tolbutamide, are often one of the first medications prescribed to lower blood sugar levels in people with type 2 diabetes.

Metformin inhibits sugar production by the liver whereas sulfonylureas increase the production of insulin. Studies have demonstrated that sulfonylureas are linked to hypoglycemia and weight gain as well as to heart complications. So being older puts you at a greater risk of heart complications but overly the percentage rate is relatively low. This suggests that an individual may have a predisposition for heart complications to begin with.