I believe that I am allergic to epinephrine, an adrenaline product they put in the local anesthetic ( novacaine ) to make it work faster. Last time I had an injection, I started shaking, I broke out in a cold sweat, my heart was racing, and I couldn’t breathe properly. Is it possible that I am not handling this substance that well?

Hi! I think that one can’t be allergic to epinephrine because the body produces it. It is possible that you are allergic to some preservatives that are put into local anesthetic. You could ask help from a allergist to test your sensitivity to these preservatives. If this is the case, you may have plain local anesthetic.

I started having a similar reaction to Novacaine at the dentist a few years ago but didn't think too much about it because the heart racing dizziness & trouble breathing would wear off when I asked the assistant to raise the back of the chair to the vertical position.
Then I had an internal gynecological procedure to which I reacted a lot too, got spinning sensation on top of the racing heartbeat . The doc said she used Xylocaine which did not have epinephrine ( it could cause heartracingbecause it constricts the blood vessels). A cardiogist said to stay away from anything with a "caine " sounding name.
A couple of years ago during a eye exam they dilated my eyes & I had a reaction again this time to proparcaine which I didn't even know they were using .
My former dentist used another 'caine' derivitave which still got my heart racing but the effect was less than usual. I have to look it up since I'm due for some denatl work at a new dentist.

:-( I am in pain....I had anestetia the other day for some filling and i noticed each time i have it i seem to get a cold afterwards. I also have pain at the sight of the needs, my teeth are extremely sensetive (the ones worked on and surroounding) and the pain in my gums are awful. I can hardly talk due to the air surrounding my teeth. I feel worse than when I went in. the pain runs to my ear and into my sinuses. I know the teeth turned out fine. and the dentist said it could take a few weeks. But i cannot eat or sleep it is so bothersome. and i have always been told i have a high tolerance from other surgeries and teeth being worked on. What gives and what give relief.....I have tried it all.
HELP!!!!!! Lola

Well, I just got back from the dentist about 10 minutes ago. I had smoked a little bit of weed (less than a bowl). I was kinda high cause its some good stuff. I had 3 injections of novacaine. 1 on top right of mouth, 2 on bottom right. After he injected those I felt like I was on cocaine. I think marijuana increase the feelings, because I've had novacaine when I didn't smoke any marijuana and I've never felt like I did today. I had a racing heart, but I was relaxed. The room was a little "shaky" not really spinning. Some other parts of my body where I didn't even get injected (my hands) were becoming a little numb. But I've noticed after I sat up those effect wore off a little, or maybe it was because I sat up about 15 minutes after he injected it so it could have worn off.

Guest wrote:

:( I am in pain....I had anestetia the other day for some filling and i noticed each time i have it i seem to get a cold afterwards. I also have pain at the sight of the needs, my teeth are extremely sensetive (the ones worked on and surroounding) and the pain in my gums are awful. I can hardly talk due to the air surrounding my teeth. I feel worse than when I went in. the pain runs to my ear and into my sinuses. I know the teeth turned out fine. and the dentist said it could take a few weeks. But i cannot eat or sleep it is so bothersome. and i have always been told i have a high tolerance from other surgeries and teeth being worked on. What gives and what give relief.....I have tried it all.
HELP!!!!!! Lola

Me too, Lola! I just had Radiesse (a dermal filler) injected into my face yesterday for the second time this month - a "touch-up." Before she injected the Radiesse, she numbed the area with Novacaine. Two weeks ago she did the same thing, and two days later I got a sinus-infection type of cold. Body aches and all. Yesterday she injected a little bit more, and sure enough six hours later I started to feel ill. So one day later and I have yet another head cold. I am convinced I am allergic to the Novacaine and not the Radiesse because I had Radiesse one time before this month (about two years ago) and had zero side effects.

It took about three days for the "cold" to go away two weeks ago so maybe this one will be shorter. Or it could be longer. Who knows?

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

HELP!!!!!! Lola

I just went to the dentist this morning and got injected 4 times with novacaine. The first 3 he did only numbed the bottom half and we found that out the hard way. Is that normal? To have to have 4 shots just to numb that side of the mouth? Anyways, About 5 hours later when it wore off, I now cannot open my mouth more than the size of a quarter without it hurting or causing discomfort in my jaw I believe. Is that common then? When will it stop hurting!? I can't even eat properly! First I have to go without breakfast and lunch because my appointment was so early and now I have to cut my food into tiny pieces to fit in my mouth.

:) :? I went to the dentist yesterday for a deep cleaning and lazer treatment for gingivitus. She started with the right side of my mouth. The numbind went fine and the cleaning as well. It was a diffrent story for the left side she had to double the dosage that she had used for the right side to get me fully numb. I thought it was odd but eventually it was effective. All went well and my mouth felt fine after it wore off. Well I went to the dentist this morning at 8:00 am. I was having new fillings and replacing old ones, crown on the bottom left a bridge on the top left and an extraction of a molar on the top left.(The reason for the bridge.) she did all of the work and saved the extraction for the last. I was in there for 5 and 1/2 hours. Throughout the prosses she had to keep giving me more injections of novacaine. In the end I went through 9 viles of medicine and they were un able to extract my tooth due to the pain. I tried to suck it up as best as possible but was unable and the dentist did not want to give me any more medicine. I said to her "that's alot huh?" She said yes but techniquely the most that could have been administered would be 13 viles. It Was numbing my cheeks and lips but was not properly numbing the gums and some teeth. She told me that the infection was bad and thats why I was still experiencing pain. She tried to beat the pain of the infection with more doses of novicaine. Which was unsuccessfull. So she prescribed Amoxicillin and a inflamation/pain killer. Only to go back on Monday to try the prosess again. :shock: I don't understand why there seems to be so much trouble with the numbing on the left side of my mouth?!! :? I have also experienced high anxiety...Uncontrolable body shaking even with my lips and jaw. I also noticed today a very rapid heart beat. They told me I could get a perscription for two pills of Valume Take one at midnight before the appointment and one an hour the following morning before they start working on me. I was unable because I had no one to drive me or pick me up. For two pills would have been 50.00 thats crazy. But I may have to make it work. I now have tooth pain and my jaw on the left side hurts. I can't hardly open it and I have a headace. Looks like soup for me tonight. Now I am scared to go back hopefully

I had my son 4 years ago and I'm terrified of having another. I did not numb with the epidural no matter how much they gave me and ended up having to be put out. When I woke up my stomach burned so much!! Since I hadn't numbed I could feel the cut across my stomach.
Last year I went and had one of my wisdom teeth removed and he stuck me 4 times and I could still feel him pulling it out. I screamed throught the whole thing and he just seemed to get mad about it. I passed out on my way to pay for the procedure since I didn't have insurance and had to be dragged back to the dentist chair.
What is wrong with me? And what do I do about having another child?? My husband wants another so bad.

You're probably allergic to sulfa products, as I am.

As far as having another child goes, your best bet is to have a vaginal birth. Read everything that you can about VBAC's - vaginal birth after cesarean. Hire an excellent midwife that will help you have the best birth possible. Join the ICAN group - international cesarean awareness network. NORMAL labor and birth aren't that painful and you don't need medication to help you through them! Both of my babies were born at home with no pain medication! Do some research and plan for yourself the perfect birth - it's the best gift that you can give your husband, yourself, and your child!

I just came back from the dentist. I had to get a scaling. I have never had an issue with novacaine until today. I got so dizzy and I thought I was going to get sick. A numbing sensation took over my body for about 20 seconds. They told me that the novacaine that they gave me had an epidural in it and they may be why I felt that way. They said that it probably was making my heart race.....which I am already going to a cardiologist for irregular, fast heartbeats. It was very uncomfortable and now I am scared to go back.

renaud wrote:

I have a similar experience a few days ago at the dentist. At first I started shaking like I had the chills, then my whole body begin shaking. This went on for about 30 to 35 minutes. My dentist said that it was normal to tremor a little but some patient might react to the novacaine with epinephrine like I did. My real concern is that I provide my dentist with a list of all of my meds and he is aware that I have had problems with my heart. Should he have been more concern before giving me novacaine with epinephrine?

If you were allergic to epinephrine, you would be dead by now. Your body produces epinephrine at all times. Your symptoms could be attributed to wild imagination, negative reactions to anesthetic fillers, or an allergy to one of the inactive ingredients. In regards to users posting about cold sweat, shaking, etc. ...you have anxiety when it comes to shots.

Hey! I just got back from the dentist. I got two teeth pulled they numbed my mouth with Novocaine. I they put like five or six shots it my gum and around the area. I noticed I was shaking and I could feel my heart beating really fast and it felt like it was gonna fly out of my chest. It is prob just a reaction to the mixtures of things they put in it to speed up the numbing. I hope anyways, but I don't think it is your imagination and I have had many needles and am not afraid of them so its not anxiety