What can you tell me about bipolar disorder? My brother suffers from that condition (circular type) and I admit that it is far from easy living with someone who has that sort of problems, especially because we all love him so much. Does anyone here have someone in the family that suffers from some psychological disorder? How do you endure it?

You have said the most important thing, the only thing that actually matters in this situation and that is unconditional love. Although, it is hard to tell how much of that love the patients understand, accept and return. Bipolar disorder might be very problematic, especially the depressive phase, when suicidal thoughts might start emerging. Sometimes, those patients need hospitalization.

Hallo,
Bipolar disorder is very problematic and living with someone that has this condition can make life really troublesome. Not how long has your brother been having this condition and how old is your brother? The fact is that treatment is not simple. The periods of depression and mania can return even after the treatment is done. You will have to focus his treatment on preventions of self injuries and you have to try to avoid any moving from one phase to another. I think that mood stabilizers are very helpful in this condition and I don’t know if doctor already gave him this but you should consider checking this any way. I hope this helped you a bit.

Hi.. I just saw your post today... about a year after you posted it. I hope your brother is doing well and you are tolerating the stress well. I have the same condition and have lived pretty successfully for many years. The main things I needed to learn are to 1) take my meds consistently... even if I feel 100% normal, 2) keep a regular sleep and feeding schedule, and 3) learn how to catch my symptoms early and learn how to deal with them.

I know it is difficult... very difficult... for my family to live with me at times. There is a lot of shame I experience when I behave badly. Please be patient and kind with your brother when he acts out and gets into trouble. There is a sharp learning curve on how to deal with the illness. Frankly, some people never learn to live successfully with bipolar disorder. I hope your brother is not one of them.

Blessings to you and your family!