Hello everyone.

So, my friend has heart problems since he was 13 years old. He was using painkillers since I know for him and I see that he is a little bit tired because of it. He is now 41 years old and I think that you do know what I am talking about.

We were together at the cinema yesterday and he told me that he heard that TENS machines really can replace painkillers in treating heart problems.

Can you tell me more about it? Is this really true?

If it is, it would be amazing for him and everyone who are using painkillers.

Hey Big Z,

I never had to use one or anything similar (luckily), but I just remembered that my mom's ex was using this TENS machine. 

I remember that in the beginning it was working very well for him and he was pretty much satisfied. But as the time went by, it seemed to him that it wasn't working as when he started using it and he eventually returned to using painkiller medications.

I found out that people are generally satisfied with TENS machine although it hasn't been researched as much and as good as it should have been. Further large studies are needed to clarify the precise role and effect of using TENS.

Hey Big Z,

Here is what I know.

A TENS machine is a small portable, battery-operated device which is worn on the body. The box is attached by wires to sticky pads stuck to the skin. Small electrical pulses are transmitted to the body, like little electric shocks. This works for some people and for some it doesn't, it all depends on the type of pain they're feeling.

As Stradivarius wrote above me, research trials looking at the effectiveness of TENS machines have so far been inconclusive. However, TENS machines have proved to be a popular form of pain relief with some people.

Good day everyone.

TENS machines have proved to be a very popular form of pain relief for some people. There are so many different forms of the treatment and the effect is different from person to person, even if the patient is dealing with the same condition.

Now, I am not here to discuss a lot about it since I don’t know anyone who had experience with it, but I have one question for others – I don’t know what exactly TENS means. I think it's some sort of abbreviations, right? Anyone in here who can tell me?

Thank you!

Hey there. Let me tell you that I am not so sure that TENS machines can replace painkillers especially when we are talking about heart problems. But I am glad that you asked what TENS actually means. Well, T is for transcutaneous and this means through the skin. E is for electrical and we all do know that TENS machines deliver very small electrical pulses to the body via electrodes that are placed on the skin. N is for nerve – pain signals reach the brain via nerves. And finally, S is for the stimulation – if pain signals can be blocked by very small electrical shock from tens machine the brain will receive fewer signals from the source of the pain.

Hey everyone,

As Guest wrote, TENS is a transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation machine. I actually happen to know two people who have experience with using this machine. 

I don't know about the experience of the person that you have mentioned above, Stradivarius, but these two people that I know are both satisfied with how their machines are working and they aren't going to switch back to painkillers if it continues to work like it has so far. 

Also, they are talking to a lot of people over the internet who are using TENS machine as well and they are all satisfied with it, too.

Hi everybody,

Well now that you have asked this question, I can tell you something about it since I have been using this TENS machine for some time now and I'm quite satisfied.

It is set up just like Health n Joy wrote above, you wear the main box on your body which is attached with wires to six or seven sticky pads that are stuck to your skin. Every time that pain appears, this machine knows it and it sends small electric shocks through your body that kill the pain you would normally feel.

I like this machine and I would never go back to painkillers.

Good day there everyone.

So my friend Lara has experience with Tens machines. So far, she is satisfied. 

Look, pain is thought to be controlled by TENS in two different ways. First is sensory level stimulation. Well, the gate control theory of pain means that electrical input of the tens machine interferes with the transmission of pain signals because it is blocking the neural “gate” through which the pain you feel travels.

The second is level stimulation and the goal of motor level stimulation is to cause the release of the body’s own opiate.

That is basically how this thing works.

Hello. For the last six weeks I have suffered from this weird discomfort in my muscles. I don’t know what exactly happened but I think that it was some nerve irritation that was combined with some pain. My doctor told me that I should try to relieve from pain with TENS machine and I decide to try it. And it works for me. I need to tell you that I am very satisfied with it and from my own experience I can tell that TENS machine really can replace painkillers in treating heart problems. So, in my opinion you should try it.