Good day everyone. My best friend Jason is pretty sure that he is having Superventicular Tachycardia. He didn't saw his doctor and he never did any kind of testes, but lately he is having some weird symptoms and when he tried to find them on the internet, everything was telling him that he is having Supraventricular Tachycardia. I am telling him that he can't find this out like that, but no - he is convinced. I want to know how can Supraventricular Tachycardia be diagnosed and what are treatment options of it? Any information that you know, please tell me. 

Hi there.

To diagnose this condition, your doctor will examine your current condition and he will check your heartbeat. He will use stethoscope to listen your heart. The doctor will ask for details about any symptoms that you had and also you need to know your health history and your family health history. I am also sure that you are going to monitor your heart beats at your home, just like your doctor tells you to do. I think that this condition is treated with some medications, but I am not that sure. Maybe you will need to make some changes in your life.

Hi everyone.
There are several options for the treatment, but your doctor can prescribe a short-acting medicine that you can take by mouth usually. This allows some people to manage their supraventricular tachycardia without having to visit the emergency room repeatedly. But if you get too late, you will probably have to go to the emergency room. If your heart can’t be controlled with medications, you may have to go to your doctor's office or even to the emergency room. They will give you some medicine that is going to act very fast medicine such as adenosine. If the arrhythmia does not stop and symptoms are severe, electrical cardioversion may be the solution.

Just like I was telling him that several diseases have the same symptoms as well. But he doesn't want to listen to me. I spoke to him today and I told him that he needs to do some ECG if he wants to find out what is the situation that he is dealing with. He is scared that something can go very wrong. But I don't think that when you do ECG test or monitoring you actually have some reason to be afraid. Tell me what he can expect if he finds out that he is dealing with superventicular tachycardia?  

Hello there. I believe that SVT can only be diagnosed with an ECG. As you already know, the ECG is a test that records the heart's rhythm and electrical activity. It's totally a painless procedure that's usually carried out in hospital or in your GP surgery, and takes about five minutes to complete, so people who need to do ECG don’t need to be afraid at all.

Small stickers or electrodes are stuck to your arms, legs and chest and connected via wires to an ECG machine. When your heart beats this produces tiny electrical signals.  That is the only way to diagnose it.