Hello, my friends. My wife has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. One of her main problems is pain. I would like to know if there are any non-medication based approaches for treating pain in MS. I would really appreciate all your replies considering this. Thank you in advance for all your answers. Bye!

Hi, there. Pain is one of common features of MS. The nerve fibers get demyelinated. This makes nerve impulses to spread to next nerve fibers where they shouldn’t go normally. If they go on sensory nerve fibers, a patient can experience pain. As far as I know, this is mostly treated with medications. One of the most common causes of pain in MS is trigeminal neuralgia. It is treated with anticonvulsive drugs. You should consult your wife’s specialist for more details. If you find out something interesting, please let me know. Bye!

Hello. There are three types of pain that appear in MS. Those are: leg pain, painful spasms of the legs and back pain. Mostly, painkillers are indeed used here. Acetaminophen is one of the options. Aspirin is also available. In some cases, antidepressants are also recommended. Sometimes physical therapy can help. Electrical stimulation of the affected area is also something that is recommended by doctors. Bye!

Hello, everyone. I think that this question is very complex. The main thing is to be regular with your treatment. Only then you can manage something. It is true that mostly drugs are recommended for pain treatment in MS. You can also try with physical therapy. This electrical stimulation of affected area sounds interesting to me. I don’t know the details. You can check it out with the specialist. I hope something will come up. Bye!