Hello! My father has difficulties with his sleep. He used to snore very loud but he recently has started to make many pauses of few seconds in his sleep. My mother thought he was going to die. He is fifty and he is over weight. Since he is a truck driver he sits and almost doesn't walk at all. Also, he smokes and drinks beer. His doctor diagnosed sleep apnea and prescribed a CPAP machine. I am not sure if my father will get any benefits from this device.

Hello! The symptoms you described are common symptoms of sleep apnea. This sleep disorder may be very dangerous especially because your father is a truck driver and he can easily falls asleep while driving. He should quit smoking and do some exercises. I know many people who are very satisfied with CPAP device and I know some who couldn't use it and then went to a surgery. CPAP is very useful since it keeps the airways open by adding pressure to the air the patient breathes. Your father may have some problems in getting used to it but he should not be discouraged since it will certainly relieve his symptoms.

I am use a cpap machine every night and wouldn't be without it. I even use it when I travel and sleep in our van by using a 400 watt inverter plugged into the lighter socket. Since I started using the machine I no longer wake with head aches or over tired. I need far less sleep than I used to. If your father drives truck there is no way he should not be using a cpap. Why would you question if he would benefit its use especially since it was prescribed by a doctor. My wife won't let me not use the machine because I haven't snored once since I started its use. The hum of the cpap is not irritating at all. I have heard that the medical profession is approaching trucking companies about sleep apnea and convincing them to have their drivers tested and treated. Tom - 55 year old truck driver