Hello, folks. We all know what vegetarians are, but I have recently heard about semi-vegetarians. I was surprised by this term. Can we say for semi-vegetarians that they are almost vegetarian? What do you think about this concept? I will gladly hear out your opinion. It will mean to me to hear it. Bye!

Hello. Semi-vegetarians are also known as flexitarians. They eat vegetarian food, but sometimes they make an exception. They eat meat sometimes. This is done because of various reasons. Some do it for health reasons, some do it for social reasons, etc. I think that eating meat is healthy. It has some high quality proteins and essential amino acids that are necessary for organism. And you cannot find them in any other food. Maybe you will agree with me. Bye!

One of the problems for "real" vegetarians (and vegans) is that people who have "semi-vegetarians" as friends think that it's acceptable to offer "real" vegetarians meat products and expect them to eat it. A few times I've been invited to a dinner at a non-vegetarian's house and I tell them that I'm vegan and ask if they're okay with that. They say, "Yes. One of my friends is vegetarian." When I arrive, I discover that they expect me to eat meat because their vegetarian friend eats meat. In other words, it confuses people...and ends up causing an uncomfortable situation for all parties.

Your point about meat containing amino acids that are "necessary" and not available in any other food is nonsense. I've been vegan for 39 years and I'm not dead or unhealthy. There are NO nutrients (or amino acids) that cannot be found in other foods.