Hi, I have been a vegetarian for fifteen years and I am in perfect health. I have two sons, one is twelve and other ten years old. I have not raised them as vegetarians because I think that growing children need all food groups for proper development. But few days ago I met a woman who raises her children as vegetarians and they have no health problems. I was wondering if I could start to introduce my sons to a vegetarian diet. Will I cause them any harm by turning them into vegetarian children?

Hi, there are numerous research papers that show that vegetarian children are as healthy as the children who eat animal products. It is said that a well balanced vegetarian diet will provide all the necessary nutrition elements for growing children, except for some vitamins and minerals that are only found in animal products. It is highly recommended that vegetarians take supplements for these nutrition elements. I personally disagree with these findings. It is my opinion that children need milk, eggs and meat to grow up healthy and strong because the quality of nutrition elements in animal products is different than the quality of those found in vegetables and fruits. I think that you will have to make the decision about your sons' diet yourself. However, you should talk with a pediatrician and a nutritionist before you make any decisions.