Hi, I have a friend who says that she is a vegetarian. The thing is that I have seen her eat fish and chicken meat. I was very confused because I thought that being a vegetarian means that you are not allowed to eat animal products. I asked her about it, and she said that she is a semi vegetarian. I have never heard of such a thing. Is semi vegetarianism for real, or did she make it up?

Hi, nowadays vegetarianism has many branches and believe it or not semi vegetarianism is one of them. Semi vegetarians are people who mainly eat food made out of plant products, but occasionally use dairy products, eggs, fish and chicken meat. Basically, their diet only excludes red meat. I personally think these people do not understand the right nature of vegetarianism. It is not just a diet; it is a way of life. True vegetarians don't eat animal product because of their moral standards that prevent them from doing any harm to any living creature. In my opinion semi vegetarians are people who got into whole vegetarianism story because they think that it is trendy to be a vegetarian, but don't have the guts for the real thing. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against those people’s choice of food, but I do not understand why they have the desire to label themselves as vegetarians when they clearly are not.

I'm kinda offended by your comments that semi veg. only use this as a diet. For some of us it isn't a "so called" diet to lose weight. More and more people like myself have been told this by their doctors to cut back on meat products due to their health. This is because meat takes 3 to 4 days to digest and for some people who have problems with their metabolism and digestive system cutting back on meat has done wonders for their health. So I think people can be semi or real vegetarians without having to have this idea of not hurting living creatures. Not all vegetarians are hippies! Maybe we need to restrict our diets for our health!!!!

Well, it seems like Veronique needs a little education herself about Vegetarianism. Veronique is a Vegan, which is a type of vegetarian. She does not eat any animal products.

However, there are several types of vegetarians such as: Semi-Vegetarians aka Flexitarians, Ovo-Lacto Vegetarians, Raw/Living Foodists, and Fruitarians.

i'm a proud semi-vegetarian :-)
don't hate, veronique. appreciate.

yeh. but what r some of the health benefits? and hazards for the semi- vegatraian diet? 8-|

Yeah I agree Veronique, go educate yourself. :)

I don't think that there is anything wrong with not eating certain types of meat or eating just two, although calling yourself a vegetarian in such case may be somehow confusing for other people